News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Good deal on Nolan Helmets

Started by paulie, January 29, 2008, 04:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulie

If anyone needs a new lid, I found this deal hard to pass up.

Nolan X-Lite X-801 for under $100 shipped. I got mine in the mail yesterday, but it was too small. Exchanging for a bigger one. The fit and finish seem top notch on these, and I can't wait to try it out on the bike.

sticker on the one i sent back said 5 year warranty!

Webbikeworld did a review of the big brother, the X-901. Got a good review, if it fits your head. The venting system on the 801 is different than the 901, but anything will be better than my 5+ year old HJC CL series. The venting on that one is horrible, they may as well have not even bothered, so anything will be better than that. :)

I figure it's hard to go wrong for $80. Worst case scenario is it becomes a helmet for passengers.

Dennis Kirk Link

mildly relevant x-901 review

i suspect these are probably being blown out to accomodate new models. the x-lite website has been down for weeks, so i hope Nolan reveal a bunch of new helmets. Many people have praised the Nolan USA distributor (i believe its CIMA - wbw mentions them in the review) for their great customer service, so i feel relatively at ease for any warranty issues. can't seem to find a better price on this model anywhere else on the tubes.
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Stretch

I just picked up an N-102 for about 150 bucks less than they were a year ago.   :hello2

brad1098

Stretch where didja get your 102 and didja get the n-com

Hows that workin for ya
02 black-Lorna

Stretch

I got the helmet from 'imotorcyclestore' on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nolan-N1 ... dZViewItem

The helmet is N-Com compatible, but I didn't get the N-Com apparatus.  I just use molded silicone earphones and my iPod.

I like the helmet really well.  It's my first modular helmet, and I'm already spoiled by it.  

The quick-release ratcheting chin strap is da bomb.  I love it.

The Pinlock no-fog inner visor liner works as advertised.

Fit and finish is superb.  The liner is completely removable for cleaning (not so with my older Shoeis).

The shaded outer visor is very nice indeed.  No need to wear sunglasses inside the helmet now, and when it gets dark, you can just flip the sunshield up, while the clear shield (UV blocking) stays down and sealed.

Just be advised that Nolans run a bit small.  I wear a Large Shoei, but a Medium Nolan.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "Stretch"Just be advised that Nolans run a bit small.  I wear a Large Shoei, but a Medium Nolan.

:roll: I think you meant to say they run large... I too needed to go smaller on the Nolan
Bruin\'

Stretch

I always get that wrong.  But in my own defense, I did post the corresponding Shoei size.

paulie

yea my old HJC is a large, and the Nolan x-801 that fits me is an XL. had to exchange for a bigger size. kudos to dennis kirk for a very simple and fast RMA/exchange process.

i emailed CIMA, as the x-801 is loose around the cheeks. need thinker cheek pads. the nice lady who answered my email said that if i call their 800 number i can order all the replacement parts i need (i had inquired about shields, liner, replacement pinlock addons, and cheek pads.) seems like all of the above are available from them.

as an aside, it seems very streange to me that eveen though nolan is a well established and respected company for helmets, no one in the US carries replacement parts/accessories. we have to deal with the distributor? doesnt seem right.

abruzzi

Question--I actually am looking for a beter helmet than I have now.  All the sales clerks locally try to push me towards the $400 Shoei.  I tell them my head definately isn't worth that much.  But the two things I like on the Shoei, is it feels lighter than my HJC, and the visor can be cracked open to let a little air in.  How do the Nolans compare in these regards?

thanks,

Geof

JC57

I don't know anything about the Nolans but I bought a couple Shoei RF-1000's from this guy http://stores.ebay.com/Powersport-Closeouts and the price and transaction were both very good. I gave him positive feedback for sure.
Jeff C

pit0rz

Quote from: "abruzzi"Question--I actually am looking for a beter helmet than I have now.  All the sales clerks locally try to push me towards the $400 Shoei.  I tell them my head definately isn't worth that much.  But the two things I like on the Shoei, is it feels lighter than my HJC, and the visor can be cracked open to let a little air in.  How do the Nolans compare in these regards?

thanks,

Geof

I used Shoei's for years and liked them very much, weight never was a concern.  I bought a Nolan modular (flip) helmet a few years ago and I never looked back.  It's great to be able to flip it up when you roll into town, especially on a real hot day.  My $.02  I don't see myself going back to a traditional full face helmet.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

brad1098

I graduated to the modualr style a few years ago starting at the bottom of the food chain with a fulmer, nice for the price.  It was stolen by some punk kids (they were probably very confused)  2nd and current an AGV very nice, comfy, but missing the bells and whistles of the N-102.  This year or next I will get the top dog modular N-102, maybe sooner with Stretch's connection.  Anybody using the N-com with their phone/ipod/zumo?
02 black-Lorna

paulie

brad,
you should do a search over on advrider.com.. lots of great info there on the N-102. i was seriously considering that solution for mp3/gps/phone stuff, but i decided that i'm not going to spend that much.

geof,
not all nolans will allow the single click to crack open the visor. certainly some do though. my x-801 does, but webbikeworld did some reviews of other nolans, and knocked them because they did not do this. it seems like a basic feature. i know that i crack my visor all time, especially when stopped at a light, or when its warm in the summer to get some extra airflow. i love being able to do that.

i'm still not sold on modular helmets from a safety standpoint. i'm sure they are fine, but for some reason i still dont trust them.

cheers everyone

paulie

i'd also like to add that nolan's warranty is a little misleading.

the fine print says 5 years from purchase date, or 5 years from date of manufacture, whichever comes first. on my "new" helmet, that means I have less than 2 years warranty.

paulie

finally got around to calling CIMA International about bigger cheek pads/liner for my x-lite X-801.

Was told they are not available, as they are didn't get any parts for this helmet in their last shipment. The guy was very nice and took my information down to see if he can get ahold of anything. He did also confirm my suspicion that it's a discontinued item.

I'm not holding my breath. Oh well, thats what I get for buying at a discount! I may still be able to make it work though.  :(

andnew

For those worried about the safety of the N-102...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... dayum+hurt

I have actually face-planted one at over 45 mph and no trouble at all. See the carnage at the linky.

I have the full bluetooth package, my replacement N-102 is on a fedex truck now. It was cool having the garmin tell me I was going the wrong direction while we were both sliding down the road.  :shock:
Andy
Enumclaw, WA
1996 Blue Steamer
2003 Black BMW K1200RSA (Dread Zeppelin)
Certified, (certifiable) Bike tech in my past life.