News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cracked oil pan...#$%#

Started by Herc, March 17, 2008, 10:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herc

So I have never used a torque wrench to do an oil change before...

Just for kicks and accuracy (!) I decided to use it.  Long story short, I now have two hairline cracks around my oil plug.  Seems my torque wrench which has sat unused for 2 years (move, etc...) is totally out of calibration.

I have been reading on the internet about quick fixes.  JB weld is often used.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Is this a get home fix or a suitable temporary fix to get the bike on the road and wait for parts and money?

IF I have to buy a new oil pan.  It looks like a tight fit with the exhaust pipes, do they need to come off too?  I assume there is a gasket that needs replacing, any other parts to order?  What about welding the pan?

It is a '03 Tiger by the way.

Thanks for the help.  I could scream right now, but it is St Patty's day so I will drink!

Greg

Stretch

JB Weld can seal a crack that isn't stressed that hard, but since torquing the plug is what cracked it, tightening the plug (correctly) might introduce a bit more stress than adhesives can stand.

A good welder can grind a V in the cracks and re-weld them just about as strong as new.

You will have to remove your oil cooler to get to the exhaust header, which you must remove in turn to drop the sump.  There is a gasket that seals the sump to the case.

JetdocX

If you find a welder who is willing to fix this with the pan still on the bike, remove the computer and unhook the battery to keep them safe.
From parts unknown.

Herc

Thanks for the info.

There is no triumph dealer near me, how much does an oil pan go for?  Anyone have an extra?

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "Herc"how much does an oil pan go for?  Anyone have an extra?

Bikebandit.com shows the sump at $311.99 + shipping

Bikebandit isn't always the cheapest - but you can see the schematic there.
Bruin\'

Herc

Ouch!

When I go to remove the oil cooler and header I can see more rusted bolts ruining my day plus the gaskets will no doubt all need to be replaced!

I am told this is one of life's moments that I will look back on and smile...not smiling yet.

Anybody want a torque wrench, lol?

JetdocX

Hindsight being 20/20 and all....

I use 1/4 drive tools whenever possible.  Nothing gets overtorqued.
From parts unknown.

zombie

Just  make sure you lube the crap out of your header nuts so they will come off easily .
Liquid wrench is a good one and don't forget to replace the exhaust gaskets while your at it.
It's not a big job just time consuming is all..
Your better off removing the oil pan and getting the job done properly

DirtBiker

Had a friend use JB weld on a dirt bike side case for a temp. fix.
It never leaked or failed, happend in 88 and it is still on the bike! He bought the the side case but is still waiting for the fix to fail granted he has not had to remove the bolt next to it.
But getting a new pan is your best bet.

My 2 cents.

Toby