News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2001 Tiger questions after first ride

Started by Jrod, April 01, 2008, 03:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrod

I took my first real ride on the bike today and I'm really pleased with it.  I do have a few questions.  I'm getting some weird feedback through the footpegs  that has me worried.  I'm feeling a bit of grinding, or clunking in my feet and I don't know if this is common, or not.  The top end of the engine also seems to be making quite a clatter and again I'm not sure if this is something to worry about, or something inherently Triumph(my TT600) made a hell of a lot of noise.  I may have the headstock bearings checked too as it feels like there might be some play there.

Opinions...

Thanks!

flux

FWIW I have not noticed those issues on my bike, but then again my other ride is a paint shaker LC4E so maybe I just don't know it.  The Tiger is the smoothest & quietest bike I have ever ridden.  I did once notice some 'engine noise' and realized my chain was too loose...once I tightened it I was good to go.  Good luck.

Mustang

Quote from: "Jrod"I'm getting some weird feedback through the footpegs  that has me worried.  I'm feeling a bit of grinding, or clunking in my feet and I don't know if this is common, or not.  The top end of the engine also seems to be making quite a clatter Opinions...

Thanks!
The clunking grinding feeling in the footpegs is usually 1 of two things
1. chain is too loose , or on the other extreme it is too tight .

2. The chain slider could be worn and needing replacing . If the chain slider is worn out get it replaced pronto before you eat into the swing arm

As for the rest of the engine noise ..........Does the kid at the gas pumps tell ya "Hey Mister , the diesel pumps are over there !"  :ImaPoser

or does the engine sound like a 'can full of rocks' being shaken when idling , :shock:
if the answer is yes to either question . Relax ." They all do that sir", as the dealer/stealer would say !

Stretch

DOHC engines do make some racket from the top end, with all those cam lobes slapping against the tappets the way they do.

Have the valves been adjusted recently?  Loose valve clearances can make excessive noise from the top end.

wvmike

I had the same concerns with my 01.It turns out it's normal.I've put 12,000 troble free miles on mine in the hills of wv on secondary and dirt roads/trails. Ride and enjoy
You can\'t shake hands with a fist
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S
what could possibly go wrong?

Jrod

The engine has 57k miles on it, but the bike looks and runs fine.  I think the noise from the top end of the engine must be normal because I was told the valves have were done at 24k and have been checked since and were all within spec.  I'll do some research here and find out how tight/loose the chain needs to be.  From looking at the bike when it's on the centerstand the chain does look really loose.

Thanks again!

Patrick the Scot

I bought mine brand new and it seems that it always was noisy. And chain tension had a lot to do with it.  I prefer to run mine on the loose side, so the little extra noise does not bother me.  I think that these bikes are inherently noisy, but with miles mine has smoothed out - or I have become used to it.  Also, we have no engine cowl to muffle the mice like many other bikes, so it is all out there in the open.  

I have found at 5000 RPM in 6th gear the bike sounds awesomely smooth...
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

JetdocX

Quote from: "Jrod"The engine has 57k miles on it, but the bike looks and runs fine.  I think the noise from the top end of the engine must be normal because I was told the valves have were done at 24k and have been checked since and were all within spec.  I'll do some research here and find out how tight/loose the chain needs to be.  From looking at the bike when it's on the centerstand the chain does look really loose.

Thanks again!

I think you are due for a valve check.  About 10,000 miles ago.
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Quote from: "JetdocX"I think you are due for a valve check.  About 10,000 miles ago.

Good catch.  If everything was done on schedule, it sounds like the last valve check was at 36k, and the next one was due at 48k.  With 57k on the bike, it would be a capital idea to have the valves checked.