News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch Cable

Started by geotiger, March 30, 2008, 08:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geotiger

Took the bike out for a little ride today, got about 1.5 miles from the house and the clutch cable broke.   :evil:   This is an '05 with 12,300 miles.  I just had the 12K mile service performed after which I had to tighten all the cam cover bolts as you might recall from an earlier post of mine.    

Now I wonder if they tightened the clutch cable too much.  It pulled out of the lead piece that holds it in the clutch lever.  

That was not fun pushing the heavy thing back to the house.  The service manager said they will make it right for me since they didn't tighten the cam cover, so I guess I can get a new clutch cable for free.

Just sounding off.

Nathan
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw

Stretch

Probably just a defective part.  The clutch cable ends have the same working tension on them regardless of the cable adjustment.

Sometimes shit just happens.

Good on them to replace it for you, though.  They seem to being feeling guilty about your cam cover.

If you remove the clutch lever safety interlock switch and just tape it back to it's wiring harness (leaving its wires still plugged into it), you can start the bike in gear and then shift without the clutch, feathering the throttle to match the RPMs with your speed.  At intersections, kill the engine to put it back into first gear.

It takes a bit of practice, but it beats pushing and walking.

Mustang

Quote from: "Stretch"Sometimes shit just happens.

A lesson learned from life with dirt bikes ....keep a dab of grease on the ends of the cables and they last a lot longer as the steel cable doesn't get kinked so easy from repeated use .

And I have to say it 'gee my steamer doesn't ever have clutch cable problems' hehehe  :wink:

JetdocX

What clutch cable???? :lol:
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Steamers have automatics?  

JetdocX

Quote from: "Stretch"Steamers have automatics?  

Automatically bitchin' :P
From parts unknown.

blacktiger

I've been caught out by this on previous bikes so I have a spare cable routed along side the original cable just in case. Of course, it'll never break now that I'm ready. Like it never rains when you take an umbrella.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

geotiger

Quote from: "blacktiger"I've been caught out by this on previous bikes so I have a spare cable routed along side the original cable just in case. Of course, it'll never break now that I'm ready. Like it never rains when you take an umbrella.

That's a good idea.

Hopefully my new cable will be here this week and I can get her back on the road.
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw