News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Blow out!

Started by Mudhen, May 01, 2008, 01:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

I had a blow out on my way to work this morning...thankfully I still had two more so I was able to keep riding.  This ever happen to anyone here?

Oh...no, didn't mean a tire...I meant a spark plug.

The center plug ejected itself.  I thought it was something to do with the exhaust so I rode the next 10 miles to work before tearing it apart.  That's when I saw the center plug sitting there in the plug wire on top of the motor.  I carry a spare plug so I put that in...didn't feel like it was going in so straight...but it tightened up, and the bike rode like a champ for the 65 miles home.

This ever happen to anyone else?

Not really sure where to go from here...maybe if I take the valve cover off I'll be able to see down in the hole to the threads?  At least I'd be able to tell if it really did oval it out - it was impossible to tell with the Triumph spark plug socket and a 12mm allen wrench in the garage at work...

Thanks
\'96 Steamer

JetdocX

Who was the last one in there?

I'm suspecting that individual might have forgotten to torque the plug and the vibes backed it out.  Hopefully the threads are not burned.

I hope that's what happened.  If not, you got some engine work in your future. :cry:
From parts unknown.

Mudhen

Quote from: "JetdocX"Who was the last one in there?

I'm suspecting that individual might have forgotten to torque the plug and the vibes backed it out.  Hopefully the threads are not burned.

I hope that's what happened.  If not, you got some engine work in your future. :cry:

Guilty.

Last time I was in there I was still screwing around with a ground-down spark plug socket.  And as I found in the parking garage today, I still don't have a great way to get the plugs in/out...even with the factory socket.  It fits nice, of course, but all I had was a 12mm allen wrench to try to turn it   :roll:
\'96 Steamer

JetdocX

I bought a craftsman socket off the shelf and it fits my engine just fine.  What's the issue?
From parts unknown.

Mudhen

The factory tool fits just barely over the 'flats' and stops, where my regular socket falls all the way down past the flats and catches on the taper of the hole.  Then it makes the plug feel tight, even when it's not.  If I hold it up some it works...but I guess not good enough.  Tons and tons of threads on this...you're lucky your regular socket works!

The problem with the factory socket I bought is that I don't have the rest of the tool...and it doesn't have some nice 3/8s drive ratchet end on it - it has a 12mm hole in the end.  A regular 12mm allen wrench doesn't fit so well down in there, and doesn't allow torquing obviously...
\'96 Steamer

Stretch

I had a VW do that once.  Makes a hell of a racket, doesn't it?

Mudhen

Quote from: "Stretch"I had a VW do that once.  Makes a hell of a racket, doesn't it?

lol...I was thinking, 'wow, this is loud and I'm wearing earplugs and a helmet...poor bastards next to me in traffic...

Just another reason a triple is better than a twin or single - at 6k rpms I hardly noticed being 1/3 down on power!
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

use the triumph plug socket in the tool kit and a normal short socket that fits the end of the triumph plug socket and you can use a 3/8 drive ratchet no problem . the 12mm allen wrench is another of triumph's "mystery of engineering "

skoron

Since the plug is out, check the crush washer.  I'll bet its not collapsed.  I always changed my own PITA plugs.   Last time I had the shop change the plugs when they were doing the valves.  Mechanic showed my the washers and asked if I ever had a blowout?  Yes in the past (center).  Point taken.  I was always concerned with stripping out threads.

Skoron
'06 Tiger
'97 Steamer sold
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

Mudhen

Quote from: "Mustang"use the triumph plug socket in the tool kit and a normal short socket that fits the end of the triumph plug socket and you can use a 3/8 drive ratchet no problem . the 12mm allen wrench is another of triumph's "mystery of engineering "

I like it!  16mm seems to fit perfectly.  Gotta add one to the toolbag.

I never knew those were crush washers on the plugs.  I think I'm going to pull the valve cover so I have better access to them and pull them all out to see what I've done...or not done...

Thanks guys.
\'96 Steamer

iansoady

Usual advice is to tighten hand tight then another half - three quarters turn. Always worked for me on all my vehicles.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650