News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Octane

Started by waltconrad, May 07, 2008, 07:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltconrad

the manual on my 05 955 calls for 90 octane.  they sell 89 and 91 here.  What do you all use?
"Love means never having to say your sorry." Richard M. Nixon.

John Stenhouse

UK sells 95 and 97 so it isn't an issue here. Which one is cheaper, one octane rating either way shouldn't make a difference.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

abruzzi

I run mid grade in my 03--88 in New Mexico (using the (R+M)/2 method European octane's use a differend scale, RON, I think.)  Try the lower grade, go wide open in 4th or so at around 3000rpm.  If you hear pinging, back off, and go higher at the next fill-up.

Geof

Stretch

I've been using 87 for ages with no issues.

cbxtc6

Quote from: "Stretch"I've been using 87 for ages with no issues.

+1  Why spend more?

Stretch

For real.  The engine doesn't knock (at all) and still runs like Jack The Cheetah on angel dust.

katoomon

Hey,whodidthespellcheckon"octain?"  

I was just getting used to it.
05 Tiger, 04 KTM 625 SXC, 19 Beta 390

Sasquatch

With the off road tune, my bike runs fine on mid grade.  Will ping a bit on regular if it is loaded hard.

looch

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"UK sells 95 and 97 so it isn't an issue here. Which one is cheaper, one octane rating either way shouldn't make a difference.

That's because Europe and the UK measure octane in RON, while here in NA we use MON. So your 95 is our 87 and your 97 is our 89.
Looch

waltconrad

The Chuck the Triumph Mech in Vegas says it runs fine on 87. That's what i've been using and it runs fine.
"Love means never having to say your sorry." Richard M. Nixon.

pit0rz

87 here too, never a ping.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

John Stenhouse

Am I wrong in thinking the efi should sort out any pinking?

Is that just wishful thinking  :roll:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Stretch

Not so much the EFI itself, but the ECU that controls the EFI... sensing the different parameters that contribute to poor performance and detonation, and changing the mixture to compensate for less-than-optimum conditions.

That's why today's cars are producing 60's muscle car horsepower ratings on today's nasty-assed pump gasoline, and still making less smog.

I remember the mid-70's American V-8's (hell, I had a couple)... anti-smog engines tuned terribly lean so as to emit less pollution... 351 cubic inches (5.8 liters), and a bit more than 125 horsepower.  Pathetic.

Now, smaller engines (5.4 liters) are churning out more than 500 hp, and run even cleaner than the 70's anti-smog engines, all due to better designs and electronic engine management.