News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help!

Started by Easy Tiger, July 08, 2008, 06:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easy Tiger

Well my Triumph cherry has well and truly been popped. Serves me right for buying British :lol: .

So on the ride home from work last night I got a fountain of coolant over my instrument cluster. Oh yeah, and over the tank and my right knee. I nursed it back home, took off the fairing and found that the plastic 90 degree elbow coming out of the top of the header tank had fractured. Is this common? Does anyone have a part number for the elbow or know where to look on the web?

Please help as I've just started to feel good on the beastie.

Cheers.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

triplerider

I've used bike bandit for parts reference, general diagrams and ball park pricing for the last few years, but they use their own part numbers and that wouldn't matter if you order from them.  You could also call a dealer easier method, probably more expensive.  As for common problem don't know about tigers because I just got mine and it already has problems, but the other 2 hinckley Triumphs I have are pretty flawless and dead reliable.  The 06 has 30k on it and the 00 has 86k.

T

Stretch

Swamper650 had the same problem while he was in the middle of a multi-state ride last month.

His solution:

Quote from: "swamper650"In conversation with a fellow local Tiger rider, discoverd his elbow failed while on the road in Murphy a year ago. I wanted to affect a permanent solution.  Have found a brass fitting to replace the failure prone 90 degree elbow in the Girly's coolant recovery. I was rooting around at my local Home Depot. In the plumbing section I discovered  a Qestpex 3/8 barbed brass elbow, part # 084169484406, priced at $1.59. Works a treat and will never fail.

triplerider

Added that to my parts list for reference, thanks Stretch.

T

Easy Tiger

Cheers Stretch, I'll be off to Home Depot later.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

NortonCharlie

Make sure that hose isn't pinched somewhere, there really shouldn't have been any pressure in it to speak of.  Also make sure the hoses are not reversed.  The one that had the tube running to the bottom of the tank should be the one going to the radiator.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Easy Tiger

Great advice Norton Charlie, I will hopefully fix her up this weekend and be back on the road. :D  :D
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

Easy Tiger

Shit, shit, shit. The Canadian Home Depot doesn't carry those fittings and now I might have to wait a week before I can carry on the search. :x  :x
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

TigerTrax

Easy... Take it easy...

I'd have to guess that Home De-Pot is not your only choice.

As fot Triumph being a Brit product.... I look at it this way....
Triumph can be damned good at milling and forging hard steel.....
but as for anything less than that... they simply have no imagination or do not pay attention.

You might make certain you have metal fuel connectors to the tank..... that is if you thought the coolant was an interesting experience.

Go ahead .... get it out of your system!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Stretch

For real.  A brass 3/8" (10mm) barbed elbow isn't a Home Depot-specific item.  Any good hardware store or plumbing supply house will carry them.

Call around first to save some time.  You can even do that from work.  :twisted:

Mustang

Quote from: "Stretch"You can even do that from work.  :twisted:

:ImaPoser

Stretch

He may as well get paid for it.  :mrgreen:

Easy Tiger

Yeah, I've tried all the major hardware stores. Nobody carries them. I have a few more places to try.

Phoning from work, I work for the Canadian Government, how can I be a responsible Public Servant......oh hang on a sec, I'm at work now. :shock:
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

Easy Tiger

It's fixed. The fitting was found in one of our local farm supply stores. It is in fact 5/16 that is an exact match. So, if anyone else has the same problem I can get hold of a brass fitting for about $3 cdn each. :D  :D  :D
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i