News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolant hose collapsed?

Started by Jrod, July 03, 2008, 01:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrod

The coolant hose that comes out of the engine just above the shift lever has collapsed.  When I rode home from work today the bike was running fine, and at normal temp.  When I parked it I heard alot of bubbling, and noticed the expansion tank filling up rapidly, but it never overflowed.  I paid no attention to it and went inside.  I came out awhile ago to look over the bike and noticed the coolant hose has collapsed (almost like it has suction pulling it in).  I started the bike and let it run for maybe 30 seconds and saw no change.  Anyone have an idea what's going on?

Mustang

sounds like it needs to burp some air .

Jrod

Update: this morning it looks like the coolant tube has regained some of it's shape and the expansion tank has less coolant in it.  Does this sound like a faulty radiator cap to anyone?

Thanks!

Mustang

you need to pull the fuel tank and bleed the air from the system it's a little bolt  next to the radiator cap  . And yes it could be as simple as a faulty radiator cap . ArizonaKid discovered that a Stant 10227 radiator cap, a replacement for 80's Toyotas (as well as 1988-91 Honda Civic), is a perfect fit for a Tiger, available at auto parts stores 'round the world. About $7.
Air gets trapped in the system and causes all kinds of problems , also on the Girly bike make sure the hoses to the overflow tank are connected to where they are supposed to go , some bikes came from the factory with the two hoses hooked up reversed which if I recall lets the system suck air into it .

Jrod

I installed a new radiator cap today (with the help of the missus - she has smaller hands and I didn't want to take the tank off).  So far it looks to have solved the problem.  I'll have to wait until I can take it out on a longer ride to see what happens when the engine gets up to temperature.

Thanks for the suggestions!

NortonCharlie

You might want to check that the hose to the overflow tank hasn't been pinched.  I seem to remember someone having hot coolant start blowing out behind the gages.  The collapsed hose would be indicative to the pinched hose.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

tcbezza

NortonCharlie is correct.

I had the same issue on my 05 and found that the hose to the overflow tank had been pinched under the tank. It allows the coolant to flow to the overflow tank under pressure but there was not enough vacuum strength to pull the fluid back as it cooled down. This results in the hose collapsing.
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33