News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Speedo problems

Started by Peter B, August 02, 2008, 03:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter B

Over the past week or so my speedo has been acting up on my 99 tiger. At first the needle would jump around and take a minute or two of riding to become steady. Now it doesn't work at all. I get no speed and the mileage is not accumulating.

anybody have any suggestions on where to start? I've checked all of the wire connections and they seem to be good.

Thanks,
Peter B

Stretch

Dirt and neglect can cause the speedometer sending unit to malfunction.  You'll find it on the left side of the front axle, with a wire coming from it and running up into the fairing.

You'll need to remove the front wheel in order to inspect the sending unit.  It is essentially a magnet spinning inside of a case, which sends an electrical impulse to the speedometer, which then calculates the 'rate of spin' and displays it on the speedometer itself.  

Once the sending unit is in your hands, clean it up and make sure the input bushing turns freely inside the casing.  The bushing can be pulled out of the unit for cleaning.  Brake parts cleaner can be used to blast old grease and dirt out of the unit.  After it dries out, lubricate the bearing and bushing with lithium grease and reassemble.

If this doesn't do the trick, you may need a new sending unit.

Bike Bandit has them listed for $146... click on 'Wheels, Tires, and Final Drive', then click on 'Front Wheel'...

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... 9/o/m17562

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Stretch"Dirt and neglect can cause the speedometer sending unit to malfunction.  You'll find it on the left side of the front axle, with a wire coming from it and running up into the fairing.

You'll need to remove the front wheel in order to inspect the sending unit.  It is essentially a magnet spinning inside of a case, which sends an electrical impulse to the speedometer, which then calculates the 'rate of spin' and displays it on the speedometer itself.  

Once the sending unit is in your hands, clean it up and make sure the input bushing turns freely inside the casing.  The bushing can be pulled out of the unit for cleaning.  Brake parts cleaner can be used to blast old grease and dirt out of the unit.  After it dries out, lubricate the bearing and bushing with lithium grease and reassemble.

If this doesn't do the trick, you may need a new sending unit.

Bike Bandit has them listed for $146... click on 'Wheels, Tires, and Final Drive', then click on 'Front Wheel'...

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... 9/o/m17562

He's just about covered everything,my second Tiger i had in 99(new),the speedo last abot 4 months before it went kaput,they can get mighty shitty and need to be cleaned and greased regularly if you want to stay ahead of the game so to speak.

Peter B

Thanks for the replies.

It was inded the speedo drive that was the problem. The drive was ok but the mechanic screwed up at the last tire change. Apparently, the mechanic (me) didn't get the tabs quite lined up so they would slip out and not spin the magnet. Realigned it, put it back together and now everything works.

Thanks again,
Peter B

Stretch

Ah, the simplest thing it could have been.  I'm glad it worked out for you.