News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Favourite Engine??

Started by Nick Calne, May 25, 2009, 12:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

885, 955 or 1050?  Which do you prefer?

Rode a couple of bikes with 1050's recently (roady and a sprint) and it's just a brilliant, elastic, any gear, any rev's engine but I have to say my fav of the three big triples is still the 955i from a daytona. (more power and hey, who can say no to that...)

Which brings me to my real question....Has anyone ever attempted putting a 955i in a steamer?  That would be some project! 130bhp steamer... probably better think about upgrading the brakes too... :shock:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Stretch

The carb'd 885 is a completely different engine from the 885i.  The only thing they share is the number of cc's displacement.  So different, in fact, that the frame mounts may not even match up between the two.  So the 955i would likely not bolt right in to a Steamer either.

A couple years ago, I read about a guy who put either an 885i or 955i fuel injection system on a Steamer.  It may have been on TriumphRat.

Mustang

The Kurgan

955i. No contest. Tried, tested and proven.

The 1050 needs more production time and owner mileage numbers before it wins me over.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

The Kurgan

Quote from: "Mustang"955 injection and throttle bodys on a steamer
here http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5643&highlight=fuel+injection

That would be nice! Mustang get to work so that we can copy you!
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Stretch

Quote from: "Mustang"955 injection and throttle bodys on a steamer
here http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5643&highlight=fuel+injection

Oh, it was here.  Cool.

Tom Herold

I love the 955i engines!  I had one in my Sprint ST also and find these things to be wonderful to run. The ease of maintenance and longevity the power plants provide are keeping it at the top of my list.

The 885 is great too, I have that one in the Thunderbird; stout and pulls well all the way through the RPM range.

But... that new 1050 has my attention!  Haven't ridden one yet, but the times drawing nearer!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

oxnsox

My favourite engine...

Why that would be the one in whatever it is I am riding...  :lol:
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bruincounselor

885i - I love my alternator and all it's electric goodness......

I don't really need more than 90hp and I'm not giving up my heated vest/grips and lights, etc. to have it. I'm sure I'm in the minority  :?
Bruin\'

Bixxer Bob

It would have to be the grunty, silky-smooth 164 bhp of my Honda four.  You have to have ridden a Blackbird to believe the torque on tap, but I acknowledge that the weight-forward riding position is not to everyone's taste.

105bhp in the Girly is ample - any more would be scary.  And - let's be honest - with the long travel throttle Triumph have given us,  how many actually use all of it very often?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...