News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Throttle Bodies

Started by Loops, September 15, 2008, 10:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loops

Hi All,

My 885 finally had something wear out (other that tyres pads etc) and my 'friendly Triumph guru' says its the throttle bodies.

Anyone know if the throttle bodies  butterfly mechanism is the same 885efi as the 955efi?

I'l phone a Dealer to get a price, then phone a few breakers to see if I can find a low mileage part.  Any suggestions here in UK.

Symptoms were a severe miss fire below 3000rpm but perfect above that.  Making pulling out of junctions interesting - also following 'The Missus' on her 125 learner is a juddery old ride.

So my guru tweaked the efi to incease flow from tickover to 3000rpm - set at 75% if anyone wants to know.  The miss fire has gone but now she surges badly on a closed throttle which is a right pain in traffic.

OK the 'tweak' was a temporary measure so I need a more permenant solution.

72,000 mile service due soon so hope to get it sorted then.

Cheers

Loops

PS Any one go to Brighton yesterday??  Saw a Black 955, Blue 995, a Orange 955 and a green steamer in amongst the 30,000 other bikes.
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

dazco

What is it that wears in the throttle boddies?
 :?:
Isnt there just a butterfly valve and the injector, ive herad of injectors wearing, resulting in rough running and very poor fuel consumption.

If you do need the bodies will one off any other tripple fit?
There is a fine line between genius and insanity, ive just crosed it.

Sasquatch

Take them into a good old carb shop.  One that has machine shop service.  They can install new shaft bushings and fix those right up.  Used to have it done on VW's all the time.  Bushings got loose and created vacuum leaks.  Have it all rebushed and it was as good as new.

Chris Canning

Try this guy he's pretty good and easy to talk to,and not a million miles from you.

http://www.triumphparts.gbr.cc/

Chris

Loops

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Dazco - the wear is where the butterflies seat onto the throttle bodies themselves so there's a big ridge and the spindle holes are going oval.  So my question was really what other models would fit?  I guess early speed triples.....and the 955 are far more common than the 885 (exclusive?) so was hoping they'd be the same or near enough.

Sasquatch - good thinking.  There's a small race engineering race company on the other side of the island, they machined the steering boss on my VW camper, I'll go chat with them.

Chris - who?  No link - been on the cider and forgot???  He he.

Oh and I just had the recall note from Triumph for the quick couplers to be done.  After all this time!  So I relented and booked her in for later this week.

I'll let you know how much new bodies are, when I ask at the dealer.

Cheers

Loops
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

Chris Canning

Sorry forgot the link have put it up now,also had a recall letter about the male parts on the very first 885i i had, it blew a head gasket after 6 weeks from new,so i had a new one(bike that is),to be honest the male bits are a minor detail,it's the bloody female plastic bits that need recalling,someone is going to come a mighty croper having one of those fail,one of these days.

The funny thing is the metal aftermarket female replacements are cheaper than the originals supplied by Triumph.