News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

clutch removal

Started by abruzzi, September 28, 2008, 07:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

Do I need to drain the oil to remove the clutch cover and clutch basket, or is the sidestand lean enough to keep the oil from dribbling out?

Geof

Stretch

Taking pics for a Wisdom thread, I hope... ?

Mustang

Quote from: "abruzzi"Do I need to drain the oil to remove the clutch cover and clutch basket, or is the sidestand lean enough to keep the oil from dribbling out?

Geof
You should be able to lean her over on the typical bent steamer stand :ImaPoser  and have your oil stay put ......................but any debris that gets into it will require draining the oil anyway .

abruzzi

Quote from: "Stretch"Taking pics for a Wisdom thread, I hope... ?

In the next couple of weeks I'll attempt replacing the alternator drive gear (hopefully the sprag clutch stays in place.)  If I succeed, there will be pictures documenting my success.  If I fail, the pictures will mysteriously disappear...

Geof

offtheback

I am anxiously awaiting the pics and report because I am going to do the same.  Did you get your parts from bike bandit??  Do you have the triumph part numbers?  I am going to order the parts through my local TI dealer so the TI numbers would help.  Do you want to sell/rent the clutch tool after you are finished?

Good luck.  Also, what are you using to 'screw' the two shafts together, the new bolt?
Cheers,
Greg

96 Tiger (some farkles)

"It\'s not tragic to die doing what you love!"  Patrick Swaze as Bodie in Point Break

abruzzi

The parts are sitting on the shelf at my post office--I'll get them on monday.  I won't really know until I get it open.  If the head is sheared off on the clutch side, flush with the shaft, I expect I'll have to drill it our and year, use the replacement bolt.  I expect to let my brother do the heavy thinking since he's a pro mechanic with more tools than any human has the right to own. (I'm fair at wrenching, but for something like this, I feel safer having his opinion.)

Geof