News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1050 motor in A Girly?

Started by Uralite, March 20, 2009, 01:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uralite

if for some crazy reason i blew the 955i motor in my 05 Girly, would i be able to find a 1050 motor in it? I am just thinkin', don't know if this is a practical swap......but i like the looks of my Girly better, but wouldn't mind the 1050 motor. ..... :roll:

Stretch

Dunno about the '05, but the 955i in the '06 Tiger uses 1050 cases and head, so a 1050 ought to bolt right up to an '06.  Theoretically.

But I have no idea whether or not the 1050 and 955i are dimensionally similar.  If there are no frame differences between the '05 and '06, it should be do-able.

Chris Canning

I had a conversation with a guy the other day about the same thing,engine ain't the problem,it's the fuel injection and what shape airfilter it uses,and more importantly all the electrics that go with it as the new injection system is Japanese rather than the french Sagem system.

So the reality is,it's full heart and lung transplant.

Uralite

I had a feeling it was going to be difficult and costly, otherwise others would have done it already. good thing my 955i is still kicking and doing well.  :lol:

The Kurgan

The question is WHY?

For 10 more top end ponies?

After installing a TOR can and dealer retune, I am running what a stock 1050 puts out.

I also know cams from a 955 Daytona (the 147 stock horsepower motor) can drop into the 955i Tiger motor. Plug and play power upgrade and probably easier than swapping motors.  :lol:

I have been riding 100+ hp sportbikes for years, and I can tell you that +/- 10 hp on a bike that puts out over 100 crank hp isn't really that noticeable, especially on a motorcycle designed for more sport-touring and not full-on race performance.

I also test rode both a new 955i (now mine) and a 2007 1050... and I found little difference in overall power.

Just my two cents worth.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Chris Canning

WHY ?? easy peezy,the 1050 motor with the Jap fuel injection is a league better than a 955 with Sagem,the reality of could a rider make the difference tell bike against bike isn't the question, it's just nicer to ride,hp has nothing to do with it.

And i'm comparing my Tiger,pipe/tune/airbox mod and it pulls a 19t engine sprocket just as good as a stocker does with an 18,with the wheels and suspension i have on mine,it'll blow a 1050 out in bubbles,but still doesn't have the finess of a 1050 motor.