News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Drive sprocket nut..

Started by T100LESS, October 24, 2008, 03:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T100LESS

After a great day out over the Cat and Fiddle, down to Buxton, Matlock, Leek and then up the M6 back home, 130 miles at  a good rate of knots.
It was to my horror that when putting the bike to bed that the strange noise I could hear, was coming from the front drive sprocket case.On removing the cover, the  sprocket holding nut dropped onto the deck..Was I very lucky that the loose nut did not come into contact with the cog? could the cog have moved down the shaft? What is the answer to stop this happening again.Anyone out there had it happen to them?.
        Regards,
 :roll:

Stretch

The 36mm nut should be torqued to 97 ft-lbs, and one edge of the dish-shaped washer (under the nut) should be bent down until it contacts one of the wrench flats on the nut.  This prevents the nut from turning on the countershaft in the event it does loosen up.

T100LESS

Many thanks Stretch for such a fast reply, looks like the tab was never bent over the nut from the factory,Bike is an 06 with 8000 miles on the clock and had all services done by a Triumph dealer..

So take a peak under that front sprocket cover,you never know what you might find.

JetdocX

Quote from: "T100LESS"Many thanks Stretch for such a fast reply, looks like the tab was never bent over the nut from the factory,Bike is an 06 with 8000 miles on the clock and had all services done by a Triumph dealer..

So take a peak under that front sprocket cover,you never know what you might find.

Or do your own services from now on to assure they are done correctly.
From parts unknown.