News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Northern Spain advice

Started by diggerT, November 17, 2008, 09:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diggerT

I am planning a trip to Spain next june.
The idea is to take a ferry to Bilbao then stay in a decent hotel within a day's ride of there, preferably on the coast. I want to spend a week or so taking the bikes out, using the hotel as a base. Anyone know that part of the world, the accomodation has to be decent as it's my honeymoon, so I won't get away with a ropey old campsite!!

Cheers

DiggerT

ChrisN

Hi Digger,

Firstly I'd recommend you consider the Plymouth/Santander crossing. It's a faster and a more modern ship - more like a cruise liner than a ferry. When I used it sailed Sunday afternoon and arrived in Spain at noon the next day - perfect!

Explore the Pico de Europa mountains just 25miles inland from Santander - great riding and spectacular scenery. Lots to see and do; visit or stay at Cangas de Onis, visit Covadonga, take a cable car trip from Potes, see the lake at Riana etc...

My photos and route here : http://www.myrides.co.uk/index.php?page=picos-pyrenees-06

More tourist info here : http://www.coloursofspain.com/travelguidedetail/55/asturias/holiday_ideas_picos_de_europa_mountain_holiday_in_northern_spain/
Chris

diggerT

Pics and other info look great, many thanks.
I am a bit limited on dates as to which route I can take over there but I'll look into both

Cheers

DiggerT

tcbezza

Digger,

I would second Chris's suggestion. The Plymouth/Santander crossing is the one I have used and the boat is first class. If you need to there is a good choice of Hotels in Plymouth you can use as well.
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

John Stenhouse

As usual though Brittany ferries is almost twice the price of P&O
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

haulin' daze

Visited friends in northern Spain a couple summers back. Stayed in Gijon and trekked to Oviedo (beutiful town) and small villages deep into the countryside.
Wonderful people, nice weather, great scenery. Lots of twisties on smooth roads.   :thumbsup
Unfortunatley I was NOT on two wheels.. :BangHead

iansoady

Another vote for Brittany ferries. I've used both and there's no comparison. The P&O boats are often stuffed with stag parties and the like, as well as taking 2 nights rather than the one that BF take. Food and accommodation on BF are excellent.

WRT accommodation, have you tried paradores? http://www.paradores-spain.com/paradores They're excellent if maybe rather pricy, but it sounds as though you want something a bit special.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Well having done the Santurzi/Portsmouth ferry twice,i say Santurzi as opposed to Bilbao because the boat doesn't go to Bilbao it goes to the otherside of the river and it makes for a pain in the arse arrival and departure as opposed to Santander which we've done once.

As has already been said the Brittainy ferry is a billion light years better,and if your on a budget the food is a dam sight cheaper than P+O.

What hasn't been mentioned,i hope your a decent sailor,we've had two good crossings and one absolute horror,i know plenty who have said they wouldn't take the risk,rather than 24 hours of puking up :wink:

The Picos is a wonder,make the Alps look like the M25,Chris mentioned Potes,there is also a Parador there,an absolute must for one night,it's made of wood a bit creaky!! but we loved it.

You will have to buy local maps,nothing in the Uk(map wise) comes close and when you get on the back roads you really will think you've dropped off the edge of the world,in some of the little villages you'll come across old style motorcycle shops as i rememeber as a lad here in the Uk,still selling old style motorcycles!!

It's not a mega hike,we did it in half a day, but we had stayed at Salamanca coming from the south,it's a fanatastic place and a complete contrast to the Picos,having seen a program with Michael Portillo(his father was born there) we always wanted to go we were not disappionted,if you can find the time try and go.

The real bad news,having spent the last 35 years criss crossing Europe,after travelling deep Spain/Portugal and the Picos,we go east now,have to get the otherside of Prague to get the same buzz.

Best of luck,you'll love it.

diggerT

Thanks a lot for all input, the paradores look great I am sure we will find something there. Great tips on places to see as well, much appreciated.
Unfortunately will have to chance the Bilbao route as the dates don't fit on the Santander journey.

Cheers

DiggerT

ChrisN

Hey Digger,

I only just noticed the trip is your honeymoon  :P

Won't you two be busy skipping around holding hands when you're not busy doing press-ups ?  :wink:

Have a good time and don't get too saddle-sore.... :shock:
Chris

Jim S

Hi Chris,

Some cracking pics there mate, nice white Tiger there now, I'm still running the orange 955i.

Some good ideas for my trip next summer. I'm planning going along to the Stella Alpina,,, again! I would quite like to do this via either Bilbao or Santander. I've considered the BTBC as they're planning a similar route but I usually camp and find that's part of the adventure rather than luxury hotels etc! I'm planning on a couple of days to come down the UK from Scotland then ferry to either destination, a week to get to Bardonnechia then a week to get back too the coast, either Dover Calais or Ijmiuden Newcastle? I'm still planning just now.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

diggerT

Well on reflection, I took all your advice, changed the wedding night arrangements so I can get to Plymouth and sail to Santander, then a few nights in a paradore near the coast followed by a few at one in the mountains. Taking the Tiger and wife (will be then!) on her GS500 although she wants to buy an SV650 before then. I am trying to get her to buy a street triple instead (cos I want to play on one).

Once again, thanks for the great advice and input, I am looking forward to the 31st may (and the actual wedding of course), now just the stag weekend to arrange! Another bike trip coming up for that I reckon.

Cheers

DiggerT[/img]

iansoady

This must be the first time someone's changed their wedding night arrangements due to this forum. What's next - world peace anyone?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

ChrisN

Quote from: "Jim S"Hi Chris,

Some cracking pics there mate, nice white Tiger there now, I'm still running the orange 955i.

Some good ideas for my trip next summer. I'm planning going along to the Stella Alpina,,, again! I would quite like to do this via either Bilbao or Santander. I've considered the BTBC as they're planning a similar route but I usually camp and find that's part of the adventure rather than luxury hotels etc! I'm planning on a couple of days to come down the UK from Scotland then ferry to either destination, a week to get to Bardonnechia then a week to get back too the coast, either Dover Calais or Ijmiuden Newcastle? I'm still planning just now.

Cheers Jim,

So many different places to go and so many different ways to get there. A great problem to have; especially on two wheels!

Funny, I was oggling an Orange 955i the other day in my local dealer and I thought how good it looked - probably because I never owned an Orange one! My White 1050 has now done 14,000miles in just 8 months!
Chris

Jim S

Apologies for the post hijack!  :lol:

Aye Chris, a fair miles, I've almost 30,000 on the 955 now, three Euro trips under it's belt!
I'm looking at a 1050 this coming year, tempted by the 990 KTM but the Triumph's better value for money IMHO.

DiggerT, congrats on the big event mate, hope you have a good one.

All, I hope to meet some of you over in Europe this summer!
04 Tiger and 97 Blade