News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

V-Strom vs Tiger

Started by Bamaboy, September 24, 2008, 06:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bamaboy

Funny how the more I read about the Tiger the better it looks!  

:lol:

I complained about not having shoes until I met a man with no feet.  

Don\'t criticise another man\'s motorcycle until you have ridden a mile on it!

jmurguia

So, I've enjoyed my Blue '06 since May and Love every minute...

3 weekends ago a neighbor bought a '05 V-Strom 1000 250 miles away and asked me to ride it home!?!

I was impressed with stock engine and ergos, but a Tiger it aint!

The V-Strom 1000 really is a great bike, but I will stick to my Tiger and all of it's quirky elements...I'm a bona fide inline-3 junkie!!!  

The Staintune exhaust really makes each ride an inspiring process and it's hard to remain legal down here in Texas with this set up...

Either way, you'll enjoy your bike (b/c modern bikes have come a long way) and it boils down to taste and pocket book.  Buena Suerte!
2006 Triumph Tiger - BEST BIKE I\'VE OWNED!

Bamaboy

Quote from: "jmurguia"So, I've enjoyed my Blue '06 since May and Love every minute...

3 weekends ago a neighbor bought a '05 V-Strom 1000 250 miles away and asked me to ride it home!?!

I was impressed with stock engine and ergos, but a Tiger it aint!

The V-Strom 1000 really is a great bike, but I will stick to my Tiger and all of it's quirky elements...I'm a bona fide inline-3 junkie!!!  

The Staintune exhaust really makes each ride an inspiring process and it's hard to remain legal down here in Texas with this set up...

Either way, you'll enjoy your bike (b/c modern bikes have come a long way) and it boils down to taste and pocket book.  Buena Suerte!

Yea, you are right.  It basically boils down to taste and the wallet.   I am sure that coming from an old 1993 XT600 45 hp thumper that whether I get a V-Strom 1k or a Tiger 955i that I will be as happy as can be.  heck, my old XT600 makes me happy, I love riding that  egg beater.  It can still leave most cars in the dust from a dead stop!  

:lol:
I complained about not having shoes until I met a man with no feet.  

Don\'t criticise another man\'s motorcycle until you have ridden a mile on it!

blacktiger

Quote from: "Bamaboy"I heard that Premium is a requirement for the 855i and 955i.  Any confirmations on that or is that more of a preference?

I think this comes about because here in Britain we call the normal 95unleaded, "Premium". Now also, our 95 is, I think, equivalent to US 89 because they use different measurement systems or something. Confused? Yeah, me too!
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

adrian jones

My 2 cents.

I have a Tiger, the wife is currently shopping Wee-stroms.

So I have sampled a few.

Suzuki (I have owned 5 from cruisers to crotch rockets) makes a damned reliable machine no muss no fuss.  And so does Triumph.

The sound of the Triple just does something infectious to you. Goes straight to the hooligan part of the brain and says "skip work and just keep on riding!!!!"
Hard to explain until you have spent time on one.
My better half prefers the Suzuki, used bike price points are very similar. Styles and all very similar list of farkles....well you get the point.
 I don't think you will go wrong either way.
 :)
Trying to reason with hurricane season.........

RickV

My `99 runs just fine on 87.  Even ran 85 octane with no noticable difference.

J Willy

I have an '05 Tiger and an '07 VStrom.  Both great bikes and neither one will win any beauty contests.  The DL actually has more miles on it with zero maintenance issues.  The Tiger has had a few.  
Since I have three riders in the family, I also have an '07 Bandit with over 10K problem-free miles.  
Not to mention a new Tiger would be $12K+, where a new DL1000 can be had for $8500.  
What can I say, I like them all.  The Tiger draws the most attention.
J Willy

05 Tiger
07 VStrom
07 Bandit

oldrider

My 06 Tiger is the best bike I have ever ridden in very high winds. (any direction)

Riding home from a local rally and following a V-Strom 1000 in "very" strong cross wind, the Vee was all over the place and the Suzuki 650 behind us got blown off the road altogether.

I was surprised how strong the wind actually was when we stopped.

There were bits of trees etc and the odd big sign belting across the road at times so it was quite strong.

Cars and trucks were traveling very slowly and rocking around like crazy.

I was very pleased with the way my bike handled the conditions.

I have checked with another couple of Tiger owners and we all agree that the Tiger handles heavy winds best, in our experience. Cheers John.
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

HappyMan

I couldn't agree more.  I drive in a lot of wind in western MN and my Beemer was awful but my Tigger is absolutely superb and better than any of my previous bikes.  Riding back from Indianapolis after Moto GP and the wind from Hell was no big deal at all on my Tiger.  I was really glad I wasn't on my Beemer.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

J Willy

I have an DL 650 that is flawless.  Great gas mileage, 50+ consistently, on 87 octane, 15,000 and a lot of that on very rough back roads.  Great on the highway, too.  Zero problems.  I had a DL1000 and like the 650 better.  
I also picked up a silver 05 Tiger.  Great bike, too, but seems much heavier.  It had 5000 on it when I bought it, and I've put another 4000 on it since buying it in June.  I have a small oil leak from the crank cover seal.  Other than that it has been great.  I've had it on a lot of back roads, too, but it is not as flickable as either size V-Strom.  
If you are talking about an 07+ comparison between the Tiger and the DL1000, the DL is sure a lot of bike for $8500, with the Tiger way more expensive, but a Hell of a bike.  I wouldn't want to ride it too far on dirt roads, but on the highway and twisites, heck yeah.
Bottom line: how much do you want to spend?
J Willy

05 Tiger
07 VStrom
07 Bandit

DaJudge

When I stumbled on my '01 Tiger, I was looking seriously at getting a V-Strom or a Wee.  

I had test-ridden a Wee and was impressed that it had a very decent amount of power for a 650cc bike hauling my 250 lb butt around.  At 6'2" with 36" inseam, I was quite comfortable on it.  I enjoyed the Wee enough that I made an offer on an '06 that was for sale locally, but the owner had loaded it up with farkles that I didn't need and was looking to get more than I thought was really worth.  No deal.  I still think that it would make an excellent "around-town", mid-size bike.

The Tiger just sort of fell into my lap (via Dallas Craigslist) at just the right time and I'm very glad that it did.  I'm really enjoying it more and more as I ride it and get used to its character.  I'm also just come back from several years of not riding (raising kids and such) and I've found that the Tiger to be a smooth ride whether it's ridden sedately or aggressively.  The 955 triple has bunches of power compared to the DL650.  My 17-year old son (who dreams of someday getting to ride the Tiger) keeps saying, "That bike is a BEAST."  I haven't ridden the DL1000 yet, so I can't compare it raw-power-wise to the Vee, just the Wee.

I really don't think either bike would be a bad decision.  Ride each one and see what you like.