News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

disk bolts

Started by jackanory, January 22, 2009, 09:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackanory

Does anybody have a source for the brake rotor bolts? The stock rotors are on my Dymag wheels and I am going to order some EBC rotors for the stock wheels but I don't want to spend $100 on stock bolts! There must be a more reasonable option.

Kiwi Tiger

Silver 2006 955i Tiger

Mustang

go to a motorcycle salvage yard and see what you can find that will work !

AUtiger

Are you talking about the 6 bolts that hold the disc to the wheel? I just ordered a set from bikebandit.com for my 2000 for $7 plus shipping. They haven't come in yet as I think they have to cross the pond.

matttys

Quote from: "AUtiger"Are you talking about the 6 bolts that hold the disc to the wheel? I just ordered a set from bikebandit.com for my 2000 for $7 plus shipping. They haven't come in yet as I think they have to cross the pond.

Enjoy the month long wait  :evil:
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

Mustang

Quote from: "AUtiger"Are you talking about the 6 bolts that hold the disc to the wheel? I just ordered a set from bikebandit.com for my 2000 for $7 plus shipping. They haven't come in yet as I think they have to cross the pond.

ermmmm don't be too shocked when there is only 1 bolt in the package ..........they are $7.23 each and you need 12 for the front wheel and 6 for the rear
that's 18 x7.23 =$130.14
for the bolts to do all three rotors

Also the average time for orders from Bike Bandit is 18-21 days from the time order is placed to your front door !
The orders don't come from across the pond either .....they come from Triumph's warehouse to bike bandit and then BB ships them to you .

AUtiger

Mustang, thanks for showing my lack of reading ability. Yeah, I have one bolt headed my way!  At least then maybe I can match it at a local specialty fastener business or find it in the  McMaster Carr catolog.

Mustang

Quote from: "AUtiger"Mustang, thanks for showing my lack of reading ability. Yeah, I have one bolt headed my way!  At least then maybe I can match it at a local specialty fastener business or find it in the  McMaster Carr catolog.
Why are you replacing the bolts ? The OEM ones are chrome plated and probably a hardened bolt in the range of 12.9  DIN I also think they are angled heads  to match the countersunk   rotor correctly , you might have a hard time finding them anywhere but OEM ......but if you are successful in sourcing them please post up the info where you found them !

AUtiger

I actually don't have to replace any. My bike has some previous history up North (road salt?) and a few of the bolt heads and the protruding threads are rusted pretty bad. I'll just back them out 1 at a time, dremel steel brush them, add blue loctite and screw them back in. If they were cheap and available I would have just replaced them though. If I do find some, which I doubt I will, I'll post up.

jackanory

Quote from: "Kiwi Tiger"Re-use them
no can do.

The PO switched the rotors over to a set of Dymag wheels with street tires (currently on the bike). I want to leave the stock rotors on the Dymags and then bolt a new set of EBC's to the stock spoked wheels with TKC's for dirt work.

jackanory

Looks like these might work http://www.mcmaster.com/#91294a287/=bnonc

Anybody know the tensile strength of a '99 Tiger disk bolt off the top of their head?

AUtiger

Jack, I am not so sure about those. There is a small (maybe 1/16 in. ) portion of the bolt head that is flat before it gets to the angled sides. Mine are all cleaned up and back in the hub or i would put the calipers to it. Then again, if it snugs up tight with no play it might be ok. When I get my 1 bolt in the mail I'll see what the Fastenal  business says.

jackanory

well, I ordered from Mcmasters - only setting me back $15.00 to satisfy my curiosity.

NortonCharlie

Those are not the right bolts, Of all the things you might put in there a flat head would be my last choice.  The original bolts are some sort of large headed shoulder bolt.  The disk needs to be held down with something flat and a smooth surface to locate the disk radially.  The disk is centered by the hub of the wheel.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

jackanory

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"Those are not the right bolts, Of all the things you might put in there a flat head would be my last choice.  The original bolts are some sort of large headed shoulder bolt.  The disk needs to be held down with something flat and a smooth surface to locate the disk radially.  The disk is centered by the hub of the wheel.

that's what I get for whipping out the credit card without doing my research first! I assumed they mounted similar to a sprocket...

I see McMasters has shoulder bolts as well. I'll be doing some measurements before ordering up any more hardware.