News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Iridium Spark Plugs, $6.95?!

Started by EvilBetty, January 20, 2009, 08:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

I just got back from Advanced Auto Parts (Parts America) picking up spark plugs.  The NGK Iridium plugs were a chore to track down around here, but they said they had them in stock and the website said they were $12.99 ea.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... pe=&PTSet=

When I was read my total, I paid and ran for the truck feeling like I had stole something, but they had rang up the plugs for $6.95 ea.

When I got home I was freaking out because it looked like the coil contact end was missing off two of them, but I noticed it unscrews off the third.  I went back and looked at the old ones and sure enough the only have the threaded end on them too.  I've never seen such a thing.  How does that make clean solid contact inside the coil?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Mustang

there is a little spring clip in the connector that locks onto the threads  :wink:

DaJudge

You don't need the screw-on sleeve that you'd normally use on auto plugs.  The end of the coil assembly is made to connect to the smaller threaded contact on the plug. 8)

EvilBetty

Thanks for the info guys :)

EvilBetty

Those Iridium electrodes look a little delicate.  Is it ok to use a normal spark plug gapper to set the gap?

Oh and what is the correct gap on these?

EvilBetty

I can't find the the torque spec for the plugs in the manual anywhere.  Anyone know what it is?

Kiwi Tiger

Stock for my Girly
NGK DPR 8EA-9    0.031 TO 0.035in
Silver 2006 955i Tiger

EvilBetty

Apparently from what I've found you're not supposed to gap the Iridium plugs, but I did finally find in the manual the stock plugs should be gaped to 0.9mm.

But I could not find a torque value anywhere for the plugs.

Kiwi Tiger

nip it up, then 1/4 turn
Silver 2006 955i Tiger