News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer rear brake disc

Started by JayDub, July 14, 2015, 06:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

I've posted this here as this disc may not be steamer specific...
I was about to buy a new rear disc and then realised that the one fitted isn't the same as the proper MD644/MD641.
On mine the inside is a perfect circle without the tabs at each hole, and looks 'universal' due to the extra holes.
The PO said the wheel was replaced with a wider one, which has a 'Behr' stamp on the rim but the hub says Triumph.
Does the disc or hub look familiar to anyone?

GavD

JD,

That disc looks exactly the same as the standard steamer disc I've got fitted to the old spoke wheel that's stuffed in the corner of the garage.
I'm also pretty sure that the steamer hub will be exactly the same as a Girly hub, I think it's just the rim and spokes that differ between them.

The standard steamer rim is a DID  17x3.00. The Girly is a behr 17x4.25

A steamer disc is 255mm dia, I think a Girly one is 285mm. Should point you in the right direction. I think yours looks like a steamer one though because the brake caliper bracket and torque arm are definitely steamer.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

JayDub

Yes gav, or I'm thinking that the hub could be laced to a wider rim coz the spokes have been replaced with stainless, and the spokes are slightly curved like someone has tried to get creative with the lacing pattern, but I s'pose the whole wheel could be girly and I'm waiting for brake guru Chris Canning to call by and confirm.
The one you linked to is slightly different as in 3 holes between each bolt, and the drilling's are in rows of 5 instead of 3.. but it looks like it would fit... so thats at least 3 different numbers now then

trophydave

The wheel looks very like the rear on my Girly,thats got a Behr rim.

London_Phil

I'm confident thats a Girly rim, with a original Steamer disc.
I have that same set up on mine, as the 855i rim allows a 150 tyre as opposed to the Steamer 140 standard, stainless spokes and a better (Behr) rim.
I have 2 original, but well used Steamer rear dics, and thats what they look like. I replaced mine with a Kagizumi from Sandy bike spares a few seasons ago.

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Thanks fellas, with your input and observations I've settled with the idea that I have a standard hub, with a Girly rim and the disc is original.
there are several five bolt discs from most early carb model triumphs  that would fit, and their differences are 'cosmetic'
so I'm going for this Kagizume one: