News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly Eye for the Steamer Guy

Started by Colonel Nikolai, January 01, 2011, 08:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

I'm Girly-curious.

I own a 96 Tiger. Love it. Anyone here had both? What's so much better about the Girly?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

jphish

Greetings Col' - There was one gentleman who had a steamer in UK & a Girly in Canada (I think) that posted ocassionally. I thought the venerable 'Mustang' also had 'dual citizenship' in the Tiger world ?  I saw a Steamer once when riding my Girly - but that is sum total of my extremely limited intellectual arsenal on the subject.

Mustang

Quote from: "jphish"I thought the venerable 'Mustang' also had 'dual citizenship' in the Tiger world ?
nope just a pride of steamers here .........

each with their own purpose

Colonel Nikolai

Mustang that looks like an old Meridan Triumph Bonneville! Don't see a Girly though.  :lol:

jphish

Thats one cool mess O' Steamers !!   Hey !! How come the Girlies don't have have dual exhaust ??

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "jphish"How come the Girlies don't have have dual exhaust ??

They weigh a lot more. Seriously when I take them off they are 3+ times the weight of aftermarket exhausts so having only one I would assume is a benefit to the Girly.

SethTiger

Hey Colonel
Just have a Girle,dont know about the steamer.
What I want to know is how you like your sprint.
I like the looks of the 95 through 98 model.
The slightly foward lean look comfortable.
How is the buffeting.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "SethTiger"Hey Colonel
Just have a Girle,dont know about the steamer.
What I want to know is how you like your sprint.
I like the looks of the 95 through 98 model.
The slightly foward lean look comfortable.
How is the buffeting.

On longer rides on the highway with the Steamer, I'm TOTALLY missing my Sprint. It sits better on the road, but there is buffeting. I also think the slightly forward lean makes for less fatigue compared to the Tiger. Plus the extra horses are nice. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to ever sell it.

However on loose gravel and some squish, the Sprint feels much more like it could get away from me. The clip-ons are pretty short. Not Daytona short, but nothing like the Tiger. Many people replace the Sprint bars with Trophy bars for this reason.

Slightly off topic: The new Sprint ST has much less buffeting than my 96 model. The newest GT less so, amazingly. I think the ST is better sorted having ridden both.

D-Fuzz

I have a guy who is trying to pry my Steamer out of my hands.  If I did consider it, I would seriously think about replacing it with a Girly, preferably one with the spoked wheels.  He has made me a good offer, but since I really don't have a comparison to make, I am scared to let my Steamer go.  As far as riding goes, what are the big differences between them?  It would be nice to have some hand luggage and more selection of farkles, but I really like riding my Steamer, which ultimately is what matters most.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "D-Fuzz"I have a guy who is trying to pry my Steamer out of my hands.

From what I've heard the Girly is less top-heavy on the road than the steamer. I think the steamer looks better, though.

Mustang

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"From what I've heard the Girly is less top-heavy on the road than the steamer............................

girlies are still top heavy  pigs just like the steamer

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm top heavy girlies .............

D-Fuzz

A few of those girlies look like they have some ballast on the lower end too. :P

Not to start any contraversy, but I agree that Steamers are the best looking of the Tiger bunch, with Girlies a close second.  It seems that either bike has its quirks, which part of the beauty of owning a Triumph.  I like carbs & coils better than FI and ECUs, but that is only because I can find my way around them better, not because I think it is a better system.

I am sort of leaning towards just keeping my Steamer, regardless of the offer.  Moving up to a Girly will likely result in an extra outlay of $$$, which wouldn't necessarily result in a better ride for me.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Bixxer Bob

I'd keep the Steamer and if I was buying again I'd have one.  The Girly is easier to work on, but the fuelling is annoying and a complete PITA.  And the Steamer looks better I think.  I like the idea of simple carbs and coils - far easier to wokr with.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Mustang"mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm top heavy girlies .............

ROTFL!