News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fork spring

Started by abruzzi, March 02, 2009, 09:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

I just found out the PO put progressive springs on this.  I'm hoping to go back to straight springs and up the tension.  Does anyone know the dimensions of the springs, and a source to buy them?  I just talked to Race Tech and it's a no-go with them.

By the way, I just found a relatively cheap source for an Ohlins rear shock/spring for the steamer ~($650) If you're interested, I'll look up the URL at home and post.

Geof

JetdocX

The springs in mine are 37mm X 370 X .9 kg/mm.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "abruzzi"I just found out the PO put progressive springs on this.  I'm hoping to go back to straight springs and up the tension.  Does anyone know the dimensions of the springs, and a source to buy them?  I just talked to Race Tech and it's a no-go with them.

By the way, I just found a relatively cheap source for an Ohlins rear shock/spring for the steamer ~($650) If you're interested, I'll look up the URL at home and post.

Geof
Try giving these guys a call or email they claim "If you can dream it , race it , or invent it they can make  springs if it ."
http://www.cannonracecraft.com/
I did a Showa USD fork conversion on a CRF150 Honda a couple years ago and they supplied the springs for me that were right  for the weight of bike and rider . fast service too !

abruzzi

A lot of googling found this page:

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/ind ... d19ded65c0

Interestingly, it claims to work with: Tiger 95-06, so do the girlies use the same spec spring?  Price is decent: $80.  Should I worry about quality, or are these things all the same?

Geof

Mustang

Cannon racecraft is about 110 bucks for the set I bought a couple years ago , and they claim their springs are better than anybodys because of the material they use to make them from .
The triumph progressives when you could get them were under a 100 bucks so the sonic springs are probably ok . but I'm only guessing , you'll have to be the tester and let us know if they are any good .

abruzzi

So I ordered some .85kg/mm from sonic springs--we'll see how they do.  Their website says:

QuoteSonic Springs are made in the USA out of high quality chrome silicon steel. Each spring is double checked, both dimensionally and for the correct rate, before being shipped to the customer. We've dealt with enough junk products over the years to fully understand the frustration and annoyance that they produce, and are determined to sell only the highest quality products we can find or have made.

They actually recommended .95 for my weight, but that is more than double the stock springs, so I toned it down a bit...

Now I gotta see if the IRS will help be buy the ohlins for the back.

Geof

Mustang

Quote from: "abruzzi"Now I gotta see if the IRS will help be buy the ohlins for the back.

Geof
You'll like the Ohlins . I've had one on my steamer for the last 5 years

JetdocX

Quote from: "abruzzi"They actually recommended .95 for my weight, but that is more than double the stock springs, so I toned it down a bit...

Geof

Good call.  I think the .90 rate is way too hard for me.
From parts unknown.

abruzzi

shipping was fast. They just arrived.  And---amusingly---they came with a section of PVC pipe to use for setting preload.  heh.

Geof

Mustang