News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Igniters.......Di-electric grease?

Started by gbcphoto, May 24, 2009, 06:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbcphoto

Just finished the valves on my 01 and am in the process of replacing the plugs. I decided to take the igniter's apart to clean all the grime off.
While having them apart I found what looks like a dried out , waxy substance on the springs in the ends of each igniter that the plug slides into. My question is, would this be old dried out de-electric grease? Does any one use it when reassembling plugs and plug caps?  It (the tube) says to put a little on the ceramic part of the plug as well as the top of the plug when changing. Any down side to using this stuff?

Thanks all.
G
2001 Gato Verde
1969 H1 500
2001 XR 650L
2000 XR 400
2006 KX 250F

Tom Herold

That's exactly what it is; dried out dielectric grease.  

I use it sparingly on the ceramic part of the plug to help water proof things a bit, but my experience is the technicians working on bike don't understand the word "sparingly" and gob a bunch of it in there thinking it's okay.

Once that stuff dries out, it's a real pain in the ass to get out and actually can do more damage than good at that point.

Now that you have it cleaned out, you should be okay.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton