News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Starter motor problem...

Started by Caulkhead77, March 31, 2009, 10:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caulkhead77

From reading elsewhere on the forum (I've been lurking for a while!) I think my 2001 Girly has the problem with charging the battery.
On a recent ride out after a break I got on to return home and the battery seemed almost but not quite flat despite the fact the bike had had a good run and I always leave it on a trickle charger. It slugishly turned the motor over a couple of times and then the starter motor made a fast clicking noise like something had busted. I managed to bump start the bike (with a tow) to get it home but despite giving it a good run still have the problem with the starter not engaging and making the whiry/clicky sound.

I'd be grateful if one of the experts here could suggest what the problem might be an what it'll take to fix it.
Thanks
Plug it in and let it rip!...

Stretch

How old is the battery?  If it's more than a couple years old, it may have shorted cell or two and will no longer take a charge.

If the battery tests good (have it load-tested at a garage or parts store), beg, borrow, or steal a multimeter and check the voltage across the battery terminals when the bike is off, engine running, and engine running at various RPM.

You should have at least 12.3 at idle (preferably in the 12.6-12.8 range), and at least 13.5 volts or so at cruising RPM.  If your bike does display these values, then your charging system is most likely okay.

So if the battery's good, and the charging system's good, start checking connections at the starter motor and ground.  Dirty and corroded connections can rob a lot of useful energy from a circuit, and the starter motor circuit is the highest-drain circuit on the whole bike.

Do these tests and come back with your findings.

Mustang

If the starter motor spins with  a good battery but not the engine you need a new starter sprag clutch