News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Brake Upgrade?

Started by Bruincounselor, March 28, 2009, 04:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruincounselor

I've had some spare time the last few days so I've been investigating what I need to upgrade the brakes on the old Girly. The stock setup isn't bad, it's just something that I've been precessing in the back of my mind for a while. I had Race Tech do the forks a couple of years back and I'm running 17" Dymags as well. Brakes seem to be the next step short of dropping in a Daytona engine - which might actually be cheaper (but harder to explain to the wife :lol: )

I figured out that the old Thunderbird Sport (T-bird with twin front discs) uses the same caliper and rotor as the Girlies, that revelation has made shopping for upgrades easy. Beringer, Harrison, and Pretech all show calipers that fit. EBC, Braking, and others also show floating rotors that are a straight bolt on.
What are people's experiences?

To wit:
Has anyone upgraded the brakes on thier Girly? If so what did you do and are there more affordable options out there?
Would changing to floating discs make any difference with the stock caliper?

Is changing to a different master cylinder something to look at?
Bruin\'

Chris Canning

I've run Beringers for what? must be 5 years might even be longer,with discs being full floaters the wear is zero,if you had a 19" front wheel i'd say don't bother they'll overpower the front tyre,but a see you've seen the light!! and Beringers with a 17" front wheel will take you to another level,although that does mean financial as well!!!,but i always work on the basis you'll get a good wedge back when you sell e'm.

Stretch

Are you running a radial master cylinder?

Chris Canning

Not now,but i have done,i was asked to test one by a certain company,they nearly had a heart attack when i told e'm what was on the other end!!!,it was better,but not worth loosing the hand guard,and to give some idea of what their like as they are,you can lock the front wheel at 80mph if your ham fisted enough :roll:

Bruincounselor

I like that setup. OK I really like that.

But I don't have over $1500 to spend.  :shock:

I'd like to do this piecemeal, perhaps get floaters when I replace the discs down the road adding caliper. I also see that Speedmaster caliper and disc is the same too, what else will fit?

Anyone found something from the breakers that will work?
Bruin\'

JetdocX

You might want to look at Daytona brakes.  Not sure if they will fit, but you go from two piston to four.
From parts unknown.

Bruincounselor

According to the EBC catalog I can use the Floating Pro-Lite Rotor 310mm
EBC  Part #MD601LS/RS  (LS= Left Side, RS= Right Side)

According to Ron Ayers this is the floating upgrade for the CBR600F2 (91-94), availalbe for as low as $180 each. Cheaper than replacing the stockers.

More research into calipers awaits....
Bruin\'

Chris Canning

I'd class full floating EBC's as a viable option with stock cailpers.

NortonCharlie

I have the EBC floaters on my 01 Tiger, stock calipers and HH pads.  I am very happy.  The HH pads are a bit much for the Tourance tires.  i am sure whatever 17 inch rubber you are running will be fine.  I don't think the floating rotors effect the overal power of the brakes compared to stock but at least you don't have to worry about cooking a warp into the stock disks.  I never tried the HH pads on the stock disks.  You also loose a few pounds of un-sprung weight and that can't hurt.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"I have the EBC floaters on my 01 Tiger, stock calipers and HH pads.  I am very happy.  You also loose a few pounds of un-sprung weight and that can't hurt.

Thanks for the datapoint, that's the kind of information I'm after.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the bolt spacing on the 6 pot Tokico calipers from a few years ago (not the radial version) stock on ZX7,9 etc.? I'm wondering if they'll bolt up without needing an adapter.
Bruin\'