News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Whoa, what are these

Started by jawad, April 02, 2009, 11:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jawad

I removed the tank to change the coils.  I also found one spinning nut on each side of the tank.  I have not tried to fix this yet.  Now the tank and both side fairings come on and off as one piece.  I'll post about these two topics separately.  

The Nology coils were on back order, so enough time went by between removal and assembly I forgot what everything was.  So now I have two plastic pieces (right and left) and their bolts left over.  

They probably go somewhere under the tank and plastics.  I was so happy to get the tank and plastics back on that I did not want to take things apart again.  I have been driving without them for a couple of weeks.  Those Nology coils sure did the trick.  Now I am heading for a long trip down to death valley and probably should put them back.  what are they.  Feel free to make fun of the situation.

Mustang

they go on the frame , left and right above the valve cover, the big slotted hole fits over the studs for the gas tank supports

Dr. Mordo

When I bough my bike, the dude helped me load the bike (it wasn't running), then hande me one of those and said, "I forgot where it went."  

I figured out where it went about a year after I bought the bike; I had put about 7000 miles on it by then.

I say leave them off.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

I dunno, but I think they help keep the heat out of the gas tank and off the fragile coils.  YMMV.
From parts unknown.

97tiger885

Mustang,

What function do these covers serve?  I have removed them a few times and am always tempted not to put them back on.

++++++
Jon

Mustang

I'm going to have to agree with Jet DR and say they keep the heat deflected away from the gas tank .  :icon_scratch
Or there was an overpaid engineer at Triumph that needed to justify his existence  :ImaPoser

jawad

Notice the circular marking in the closeup photo.  The point to 10PM (0.1) on the left and 2PM (04) on the right.  Do these help with lottery numbers?

The Hayens manaul calls them Valve cover cowls.