News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Another carb issue

Started by pinner, April 09, 2009, 10:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinner

The 95 had started to run a bit rough in mid range and fuel milage is down from about 44 to maybe the high 30's.   I  made arrangements for a check up with valve adjustment.  I don't have the tool(yet) and am not quite there as a wrench.  In spite of that however, I decided to get in and have a look at my carbs, so... pulled the tank, fairing, cleaner.

The first sign of trouble was when I lifted the #3 carb piston and noted my needle seeting down in the jet. I know it doesn't run well like that ;)  So I proceed to remove the carb(s).  I manage to only bust off 1 vacum nipple on the #1 pulling the unit out the left side.  I dissassemble everything and find the #3 needle has indeed busted, 1/2 remaining in the piston diaphram assemblely and the other 1/2 as I noted down in the jet.  I go on to note that the #3 piston has been sitting cock eyed in the guide and has worn the guide completely through to the carb body in places.

My Haynes shows the piston and guide separately.  I take the parts pieces into the dealere who sates that Triumph does not list the guide as a separate part.  Of course Triump is happy to get 2k for a whole new carb assembly.  I'm not sure if the ole girl is worth that in total.  I looked more closeley at the other 2 and noted some wear on them as well.  The shop guy saye he never seen anything like it in 28 years. I love to hear that I am breaking new ground.rt

So the hunt begins.  Any thoughts out there on a source for carb piston guides?  Looking forward to the input.
FYI I have sporatic web access and can't alwas check immediately. Cheers, Kevin
"The path to righteousness and wisdom is as narrow and difficult to walk as the razor\'s edge."

Mustang

ebay and wrecking yards .....all the 900 triples shared the same carbs , you can even stick keihins in it if you find some , all the 98's used Keihins , tbird legend etc .

pinner

Mustang, thanks for the reply.  I thought I should be able to locate something off  any of those bikes.  The keihins mod may be an option, if they are mor availible.  Ive gottta think that since someone made the guide to fit into the carb somebody, somewhere  has one or 3.
I'm just beginning my search.  I hope not to waste too musch of this fine weather without wheels
Kevin
"The path to righteousness and wisdom is as narrow and difficult to walk as the razor\'s edge."