News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Need some Bay Area support w a 01' Tiger

Started by Dugenwoo, May 02, 2009, 01:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dugenwoo

I have a 01' Tiger that Ive recently acquired with over 37k on it. She (GG) seems to have a hesitation running at low RPMs in traffic and idles inconsistently. On top of that, she backfires quite a bit when downshifting. There is an after market off road pipe on her that gives her a good bit more free flow, it has been remapped. Im thinking plugs, air filter, valves. The valves have never been done. Any other Ideas? :icon_scratch

Since I think it's the valves, this will my first time adjusting them. The problem is I dont have a garage nor enough experience with the Tiger to attempt this, although Im a fast learner.  :thumbsup

So Im putting it out there; is there anyone in the Bay Area (Oakland, CA or near by) that has had success with adjusting their valves and has a garage that would be willing to help me though this process? I'd like to throw some incentives out there for ya like some $ and beer or whatever, not to mention that I would be forever grateful.  :bowdown If you're out there let me know. BTW I'm a really good deep tissue therapist. Willing to trade for help. Hope everyone is well!! Thanks, Dugen

JetdocX

I would be glad to help, but I'm in Reno until I find a suitable East Bay residence for El Bastardo Verde and myself.  And they just put the security cams in the hangar, so no more working there. :evil:
From parts unknown.

Dugenwoo

If anybody knows a good mechanic that will work on the side please let me know.  I'd rather work with the person and to learn more about her but I'm desperate to ride. I need to ride!  :BangHead  I also need to do the fork seals.  Any ideas, give them to me, I'm open to suggestions.

Dugenwoo

Hey Jetdoc, thanks for the thought.  Let me know when you make it this way and we can hit some twisties or if GG isn't fixed up yet maybe I'll take you up on your offer and well work in the street or under a nice tree with no sap.  :XXsunsmile

jetpoweredmonkey

Dugenwoo, that could be down to valves but I'm guessing some new plugs and a throttle body sync will probably put her right.  Did wonders for idling and drivability on my bike even with only 10K on the clock.  One of the TBs was pretty far out of whack.  While you have the tank off for that work it's an easy job to at least check the clearances but if you need to do any adjusting you'll want a shim remover, either the OEM one or something like this which seems like a good deal to me:

http://www.geocities.com/mustanggarage/shim_tool.html

I'm in Sacramento, I've done the TB sync on my bike and checked the valves but have not needed to change shims yet so I don't have the tool (nor any shims).  Valves are best done with the bike in a place where it can be left for a while because the dealer may not have what you need, in my experience.