News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

WoW! The Triumph Off-Road Pipe Rocks!!!

Started by Goober, May 06, 2009, 07:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goober

I bought an "Off-Road" pipe on Ebay for my 05 Silver Tiger and all I can say is WoW!  I've been running the off-road tune since I got the bike with the standard muffler.  I recently put a 19 tooth front sprocket on because I need to run it on the Autobahn (I live in Germany) and the high RPMs with the 18t at 90-100 mph were killing me.  The 19t at highway speeds was much better but it was a pain in the twisties having to switching gears all the time.   Now... the 19 and the TOR pipe turned this thing into a monster.  I expected it to be louder, but I didn't expect to feel this much more power.  It accelerates much faster and has a very snappy throttle and the bike is much nicer in the twisties.  

I would highly recommend the Triumph Off-Road pipe. :lol:
2005 Silver Tiger

stook

Quote from: "Goober"I bought an "Off-Road" pipe on Ebay for my 05 Silver Tiger and all I can say is WoW!  I've been running the off-road tune since I got the bike with the standard muffler.  I recently put a 19 tooth front sprocket on because I need to run it on the Autobahn (I live in Germany) and the high RPMs with the 18t at 90-100 mph were killing me.  The 19t at highway speeds was much better but it was a pain in the twisties having to switching gears all the time.   Now... the 19 and the TOR pipe turned this thing into a monster.  I expected it to be louder, but I didn't expect to feel this much more power.  It accelerates much faster and has a very snappy throttle and the bike is much nicer in the twisties.  

I would highly recommend the Triumph Off-Road pipe. :lol:

I am wondering if you got your good results because you already had the off-road map? I installed the TOR on my stock (factory mapped) 2006 and performance is not good at all. The bike "bogs" on acceleration and has much less power than before. I am trying to find time to take it in for a re-map to see if that cures the problem.

The Kurgan

Quote from: "stook"I am wondering if you got your good results because you already had the off-road map? I installed the TOR on my stock (factory mapped) 2006 and performance is not good at all. The bike "bogs" on acceleration and has much less power than before. I am trying to find time to take it in for a re-map to see if that cures the problem.

When I bought my '05 Tiger with 1400 kilometres on the ODO, it already had the TOR can installed. I discovered, after inquiring, that it only had the stock tune. When I had them download the latest off-road tune... my jaw dropped at the difference! More power (especially down low), better acceleration and smoother acceleration.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

flux

Anyone run the off road tune with the stock pipe?  I want a TOR can but no funds right now...

Stretch

There are a couple dudes here that do.  You get the better fueling map, but with the quieter muffler is all.  The stock muffler isn't all that restrictive, have at it.

flux

Thanks Stretch, I may try it out.   8)

M.T.

I run the off-road tune with the stock muffler on my '06-

I had the dealer install the off-road tune after I'd had the bike for a few months and done all the break in miles.  

There is a significant difference!  I notice that the low end power on the bike is much more crisp and precise. Quite a bit more grunt-

You won't be sorry!
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

matttys

Quote from: "M.T."I run the off-road tune with the stock muffler on my '06-

I had the dealer install the off-road tune after I'd had the bike for a few months and done all the break in miles.  

There is a significant difference!  I notice that the low end power on the bike is much more crisp and precise. Quite a bit more grunt-

You won't be sorry!

Can the tune only be installed by the dealer?  What is the process?  Is it as easy as hooking up the scan tool and downloading the code?

Any effect on mpg?  I've noticed that any rpm under 4k is a bit dodgy at best and having it beef up the low end would be nice.

Sounds like an easy mod either way.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

rainycoastguy

I've had the TOR tune with stock muffler on my '02 for about the last three years.  It moves right out in front of my friends '06 with stock tune and pipe.

Stretch

Quote from: "matttys"Can the tune only be installed by the dealer?  What is the process?  Is it as easy as hooking up the scan tool and downloading the code?

That's pretty much it.

You can do it yourself with a Tuneboy and the Triumph cable.

My mileage got worse.  'Cause I'm all the time opening up the throttle to hear the pipe.

matttys

Quote from: "Stretch"My mileage got worse.  'Cause I'm all the time opening up the throttle to hear the pipe.

Sounds like a riding style that I can identify with.  I'll see what tune packages my dealer has on his computer.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

Wiggus

A friend just told me last night that I have the Off Road pipe on my new-to-me '99 Tiger. I don't know what the "before" would have felt like. I suppose the remapping was done because there is no backfiring ever, and it's quite punchy on the throttle.
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...

mrazekan

Remeber..the can and tune are for off-road use ONLY!   :D

JasonS

I have the TOR and tune... I bought the bike this way with 1700 miles on it... I just finshed up 7300 miles in 3+ weeks and for the most part got less than 40 MPG, but then I was loaded to the max and pushing 75+mph .. .big CeeB screen... 255 lb me.. (233 after the trip though!).. so that wasn;t so bad... I have also battled a faulty temp sensor, which raises all kinds of hell and fuel consumption skyrockets... however I did get 43 mpg on one tank run when I was keeping it at 70-75... I also have mounted the 19t front sprocket... the sound of the bike is something so different... underpasses are a blast, but that can can howl too much and draw unwanted attention, so I choose my places to open it up as it has a real bark, and that bark gets a bit more full as the system ages...  :P   it is a serious problem controlling that right hand, which so far has not garnered any performance awards, but has taken a serious bite out potential gas mileage... what was the question?
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c