News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955i oil consumtption

Started by diggerT, April 29, 2008, 01:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldiii

All, this is an update to last years oil burn problem.  Well after a complete top end rebuild the problem remains.  I burn about 1(+) quart for every 500 miles; sucks big time.  The prevailing though is that there is a hairline crack in the head, near the valves.  I'm still am paying for last years repairs (replaced everything but the head) and the thought of a new head or an engine out of a wrecked bike is too painful to think about.   I believe that this all started when the head gasket failed (Triumph would not cover) and oil and coolant mixed and the engine over heated.  The engine is still a screamer (fill the oil and check the gas) with the only tell tail sign of heavy soot in the exhaust muffler.

Moral of story; engine over heats, ANY loss coolant/changes color real fast, shut'er down, pay for a tow.

OBTW, I could use a low mileage 2005/06 955i motor if there are any hanger queens or wrecks out there.

eldiii