News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

06 Girly Starting Problems

Started by SETiger, August 08, 2009, 12:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SETiger

Geared up ready to head for work. Rolled her out and hit the starter and no joy in Tigerland.

Hit the starter button and all I get is a click from the headlight cutoff circuit kicking in then nothing (most of the time). Occasionally, if I try it enough she will catch and fire right up. Sidestand switch appears to be funtional as when it is running if I drop the stand with her in gear it cuts right off. The battery is good (replaced a couple of months ago and reads around 12.8v when the bike is off and goes up around 14.2 when running. All the fuses appear ok. Checked all the wiring connections I could get to easily and all seem fine...

Electrical stuff is not really my strong point so I'm looking for ideas on what/how to check for. Hoping it's not like the starter moter going out...

Thanks

Stretch

First, check all your battery, starter solenoid, and starter connections.  Make sure they're tight and clean.

If that doesn't help, take the right switchgear apart and make sure the starter switch isn't corroded and dirty.

Might be the starter solenoid itself also.

SETiger

Connections all appear to be tight and clean - switch gear looks good. I'm thinking it's in the starter solenoid or starter itself. Every now and then when I hit the switch it will clunk like the solenoid piston is being thrown into the starter but then nothing. And on rare occasions it will actually catch and spin the engine over.

Is there anyway to test the solenoid itself?

Thanks

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "SETiger"Geared up ready to head for work. Rolled her out and hit the starter and no joy in Tigerland.

The battery is good (replaced a couple of months ago and reads around 12.8v when the bike is off and goes up around 14.2 when running.

Thanks

Have you tryed the voltage test while startin the bike, that will show a load on the battery, if it still shows high volts its fine but if it drops to single figures its a duffer !! hopefully a wigglyamps guru will back me up on this or tell me i`m talkin pish !!  :?

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

SETiger

I think the battery is good - fairly new. Hooked it up to the multimeter and with nothing switched on it's reading about 12.7v. Turn on the ignition and it drops to about 12.2v (the lights come on). Hit the starter and the lights drop off as expected and the meter shows back around 12.5v...

oxnsox

Seems your battery is good. The solenoid is separate to the starter motor so make sure you have checked the connections on the solenoid as well.
When you press the start button you should be able to hear the solenoid kick in, or better still if you can get a finger on it you would feel it operate.... though you probably need an extra hand for this...
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SETiger

When I turn on the switch, I can hear the fuel pump winding up. Then when I hit the starter switch I can hear the relay in the front fairing cut in to kill the headlights and that's it.

SETiger

Turned out a wire running from one of the connectors on the solenoid to the clutch cutout (I think) was being knocked loose by the bottom of the battey box. Guess I started that process when I replaced the battery a couple of months ago.

Thanks for the help guys - I knew this was the place to ask!

Stretch

Rockin'!

I love happy endings.