News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gas without a key

Started by Fe Man, August 09, 2009, 10:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fe Man

So I got my 06 Tiger and it was just as I expected.
It didn't come with keys but I bypassed the ignition switch and got it running. I need to take it to a locksmith to get keys made but it needs gas. I thought it would be easy to remove the bolts around the filler and lift it out but it doesn't budge.

Any ideas?

coachgeo

You got to go to a key master anyway so all the steps your messing with now is wasted energy.  Thus IMHO stop Fing with it and go rent a Uhaul and get it to the lock smith.

Before that though run the VIN number to make sure it's not stolen.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Stretch

Look up under the tank (on either side) and look for an 18-inch length of 3/8-inch rubber fuel hose that's connected to both the front lobe and rear sump of the tank.  This is a balance hose that lets fuel trapped in the front lobes of the tank flow down to the sump at the rear, where the fuel suction pickup is located.  Without these hoses, you would run out of fuel with a gallon of gas trapped in the front lobes.

Anyway, disconnect one end and plug it with something (or have your helper put his finger over the fitting).  Then hold the free end of the rubber hose as high as you can and pour fuel into the hose through a funnel.  It'll take a while, but it's do-able.

Then reconnect the hose and let 'er eat.

Do your self a favor and do this outdoors, away from pilot lights and other sources of ignition.  Gasoline vapors are heavier than air, and travel downhill across the ground, and collect in low areas.  I've seen dudes with the skin dripping off their legs after igniting gasoline vapors in a low-lying area.  

Don't smoke, and don't let smokers near the area until you're finished and cleaned up.  You'd be amazed at how a smoker will absentmindedly light up, even when standing in a pool of gasoline.

This public service message has been courtesy of the TigerTriple Department of Fire and Emergency Services.

It might be easier to just unbolt the seat lock and take it to the locksmith.

oxnsox

You may want to ring a dealer first to see which Locksmith they recommend, Some will be more familiar with bike locks than others, and some won't hold key blanks for all models...  which means they may not hold a suitable replacement barrel....
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MikeBenzon

Quote from: "Fe Man"So I got my 06 Tiger and it was just as I expected.
It didn't come with keys but I bypassed the ignition switch and got it running. I need to take it to a locksmith to get keys made but it needs gas. I thought it would be easy to remove the bolts around the filler and lift it out but it doesn't budge.

Any ideas?
How do you get a bike without keys? other than stealing it?
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/