News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Throttle body balancing

Started by Bixxer Bob, March 15, 2009, 09:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walker

the newer carbtune works great - I bought one a while back. Annoying to keep the idle up with the idle air solenoid off the bike.

The new carbtune comes with dampers.... although, after seeing what they are, you could make your own for the other fluid setup you were trying to do...

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "blacktiger"
Quote from: "REGULATOR"Doesn't Tuneboy work for this?

Tuneboy will read the pressures sent to the ECU from sensors in the manifolds but only on the Keihin injection systems. On our Girlies we have SAGEM injection systems and it doesn't have the necessary sensors so Tuneboy will not work for this.

Bixxer,
What's needed here is a proper mercury manometer like the original Morgan Carbtune. This is a closed system with a vacuum at one end and the engine connected at the other with the mercury in the middle, so the mercury will not be sucked into the engine because the closed vacuum will always overcome the suck from the engine.

:lol: I new that!!

Rather than an outright manometer ( where can you buy mercury these days?? ) I was trying to do it on the cheap.  this setup working as a comparator is fine in theory, but the TBs were just too far out to get it to work.  It would probably work for fine tuning, but I need to get the job done.  It killed a couple of hours anyway..

Oh, and running the bike with the tank on the table threw up two fault codes - Airbox sensor fault and fuel level sensor fault (no surprises there then) but cleared them with my trusty OBD2 gear!!  That kit is proving to be quite useful...

Cheers!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Stretch

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Oh, and running the bike with the tank on the table threw up two fault codes - Airbox sensor fault and fuel level sensor fault

Huh.  I didn't know it would do that.  When I had my tank beside the bike, I already had a Check Engine Light on from jump-starting it earlier, so I wouldn't have noticed any new faults without checking it with OBD2 (which I don't have).

EvilBetty

Alright so I'm half through balancing my TB's.  I've been having trouble accidently moving the throttles while adjusting the screws and I keep killing it.  No big deal except all the restarting killed the battery, so I'ts on the charger now :(

While I wait, I'm looking at the throttle possition sensor (is this the stepper motor?) and it's filthy...  do I just need to wipe it down or is there a way to clean it more thoroughly... if that's nessassary?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

TheMule

EB,

I made a wrap around my throttle with a bungee and secured the other end of bungee in a location that made it tight to keep my throttle in place for the adjustments. Worked great........just and idea. I cleaned the outside of the sensor when I had things apart but did not take it apart to clean the insides.

good luck,
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

Stretch

EB, the Throttle Position Sensor is on the right side of the throttle shaft itself (on the right side of the #3 Throttle Body).

The Stepper Motor / Idle Air Control Valve is above and between the #1 and #2 Throttle Bodies, with the three flex hoses coming out of it.

Unbolt the Stepper Motor and disassemble it (mind the o-ring) and clean it up inside and out.  Be sure the rubber seal goes back on the outside (seals against the airbox).

EvilBetty

Oh I have a ring from stretch that did the job, but I was having to press on both side of the set screws to get enough force to turn them.  I got it done.  Begining reassymbly!

I'm getting better at this... only took my 7 minutes to tear it completely down :D

I took video and pictures so I'll write up a how too on TB balancing soon.

EvilBetty

Oh crap.  Somehow I missed your post Stretch.

Man about gave myself a heart attack when I read it.  I was talking about the Idle Air Control Valve when I was referring to the Throttle Position sensor, so when you said the TPS was on the end of #3 I thought I had damaged it by not removing it when I did the TB balance.

BUT, I did remove the Stepper Motor / Idle Control Valve so thats all well and fine, but I've already reinstalled the ICV after just wiping it down.  Wishing I had waited to read your post, but I was trying to beat Engle (dealer) closing so I could go get the TOR map done... missed it by 30 minutes though.

Oh well.  One more maintenance item done, and I need to figure out this exhaust leak anyway.

Thanks guys.