News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

If the "Roadie" isnt a true dualsport like Girlies

Started by TallRob, June 07, 2009, 05:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

I borrowed a 1050 a few months ago for a few days and it is a great bike.  It seemed to weigh about one million tons less than a steamer and the engine is great.  It felt completely like a road bike though, no dirt potential at all.

If I was going to convert one, the list to change would be extensive and would include modification to the suspension along with much of what has been written in previous posts already.  I think that the riding position / steering geometry is more road oriented than you'd imagine and that is something that's difficult to change.  No, for me it's a road bike pure and simple.  If wanted something that was similar (light, fast, upright) but could really handle off road work then I'm afraid it's a ktm adventure.  

Did I just recommend a non triumph bike?  Heretic!!!  Quick, please somebody shoot me in the head!  :shock:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "nickcalne"Did I just recommend a non triumph bike?  Heretic!!!  Quick, please somebody shoot me in the head!  :shock:

CHICK CHUCK, locked & loaded  :lol:

This has been around for a while but worth bumping

My second ride out after I took delivery took me over the moors and down a few farm tracks (unintentionally) that were broken tarmac mixed with dirt and or gravel. the Roadie coped very well on standard tyres sitting or standing on the pegs, even the ABS kicked in and out without a great deal of drama. I did it with far less speed and skill than the guy in the video I must confess

When I changed the rear with the big screw in it I muted to the dealer that I had considered putting Annakees on her, he gave me a look like I had just sh@t on his showroom floor "Naw yer getting mixed up, that's an off road biased tyre". That's what I have on my Vara and I haven't managed to get the back end unstuck yet  :roll:

I should state at this point that my off road experience could be written on the back of a postage stamp with a white wash brush, so if I can get through I am sure the more skilled and experienced than me can give the roadie a fair crack. :lol:

A 675 Steamer, who's up for it  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

oldrider

Quote from: "Stretch"It's every bit the dual-sport that a factory-stock Girly is.  The only difference is the Girlies came with a 19" front wheel, allowing for the selection of more aggressive off-road tires (TKC's, Karoo's. etc).  

And as such, the aftermarket was more responsive to outfitting Girlies for dual-sport duty.  Since the tires aren't out there for Roadies, Touratech and friends aren't exactly racing to get dual-sport and off-road farkles developed for them.  A shame.

If the tire manufacturers would open their eyes and look, they'd see that there is indeed a market for 17" front knobbies... Roadies, the Buell Ulysses, Ducati Multistrada, etc.

I've heard the argument that a 17" front wheel is too small in diameter for true off-road work.  But if you're going to wash out a 17" wheel in sand, you'll probably wash out a 19 or 21 as well, so what's the difference?

As always was and always will be the case!  The difference is the rider!
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.