News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Meet a Guy on a Steamer....

Started by Nick Calne, November 04, 2009, 08:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Coming out of a meeting for work in the middle of Bristol this evening, I met a bloke with an old red steamer and got talking bike.  Turns out the guy is planning to put a 1200 daytona engine into the bike - what a hero!  Just how cool is that?  

Got me wondering if it has it been done before?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

abruzzi

Other higher spec 885 engines have been done (900 daytona, speed triple, etc.)  I'd wonder about width with the 1200--it's a 4 cyl after all.  Also, to the 4s have the same mounting points as the 3s?

Geof

NeilD

don't know about on the Tiger, but seen it on the Thunderbird range.. not sure if its a good thing or not ?

Nick Calne

I don't know either.  I suspect it's not sensible.  I just love it that some guy is prepared to give it a whirl.

MIMbox

There was a 4 cylinder 1200 Tiger on ebay uk a year or so ago, it had been fitted by a dealership, and was very tidy. Sadly I can find no record of it on the interweb!

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "nickcalne"I just love it that some guy is prepared to give it a whirl.

I love reading about that sort of thing, I know many guys will say "just ride it" but for me I get as much enjoyment plotting & tinkering in the garage as I do out riding. "I have a cunning plan my Lord"
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

NeilD

Quote from: "nickcalne"I don't know either.  I suspect it's not sensible.  I just love it that some guy is prepared to give it a whirl.

me too, I mean if we wanted 'sensible' we'd all be riding Hondas !  :D  :shock:  or, as my Dad always suggested, "get a nice little car" !  :)

Nick Calne

I think we are in complete agreement then.  We are all in Niall's (sin's) gang, the rules being half the pleasure of a motorcycle is the 'indoors' spirit of adventure: can you fix it, modify it, mend it on your own with a spanner, a dash of WD40 and a liberal smear of imagination?

Roll on 1200, 955 and diesel steamers!  If I see the guy again in the spring I'll let you all know how he got on.

Nimrod11

Quote from: "NeilD"me too, I mean if we wanted 'sensible' we'd all be riding Hondas !  :D  :shock:  or, as my Dad always suggested, "get a nice little car" !  :)

My thoughts exactly! A year ago, when I was deciding what to buy, I came to the conclusion that a V-Strom would be the most sensible decision. Good bike, low maintenance, well built. But then a friend asked me: Why do you want something sensible when having a bike is not sensible?

I didn't think twice on got my gorgeous Tiger!
----------
Tiger 2004