News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

reverse shift

Started by RobH, September 03, 2009, 02:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobH

Gah! As predicted by certain forum members, fitting a Sprint engine into a Tiger results in reverse gearchange operation.

I checked out the drums for both Tiger and Sprint prior to the swap and they look identical on the schematic. So the question is, which parts need to be swapped to get correct gear change sense?

On the plus side the new engine is sweet!

Cheers

H

nightrunner

Are you sure its not external differences?   Could be just different shift lever mechanism.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Sin_Tiger

Leave it and get used to it, will stop wee Torags gettign very far when they try to half inch it  :lol:

Good to see you are making some progress better than watching the cricket in the rain  :wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JetdocX

I'm with Max Headroom.  Live with it!  I'd love to have a Sprint engine in my Steamer. :D
From parts unknown.

RobH

LOL, cheers guys. Took it for MOT yesterday and despite my telling the tester immediately before he drove off he still drove off in second gear...

Yes, the shifter mechanism is reversed from Tiger to Sprint - Tiger has the link above the gear lever pivot, Sprint has the link below the pivot - giving reverse sense, if I could fit a Sprint gear lever and linkage on it would shift in the correct sense but there is no room for this due to lack of frame clearance (as far as I can tell). I'll have a proper look. Unfortunately this proves that there are internal selector mechanism differences though - otherwise the same gear shift lever would work the same for both models... :-(

Cheers

H

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "RobH"Took it for MOT yesterday and despite my telling the tester immediately before he drove off he still drove off in second gear...

:ImaPoser  I would love to have seen him come up to a roundabout, blip it and think he had changed down  :shock: now that would be a real test of the brakes  :wink:

great to hear you have it back on the road  :wings
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Quote from: "nightrunner"Are you sure its not external differences?   Could be just different shift lever mechanism.
nope the shifting drum is back asswards compared to the tigger

Nick Calne

Isn't this how racing motorbikes have their gearbox.  1 up 5 down?

Rob, have you just made the first 'racing' steamer?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

goody

Yes, some have it like that. It makes it easier to change up exiting corners when the bike still leaned over.

nightrunner

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "nightrunner"Are you sure its not external differences?   Could be just different shift lever mechanism.

Easily corrected with external linkage change though.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Mustang

Quote from: "nightrunner"
Quote from: "Mustang"

Easily corrected with external linkage change though.

try it sometime .....it's impossible to flip the linkage over as it hits the footpeg kickstand bracket , been there done that .