News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

motor swap

Started by eatalotapeaches, September 30, 2009, 06:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eatalotapeaches

I think my motor is toast. Actually the dealer said it is. I'm looking for a replacement 955i.  Ideally I'd happen upon a cheap wrecked Tiger, but what about a Sprint or Daytona 955i?  I assume it's the same block and would mount the same.  I would think there would be a internal difference (cams ?)  so then I would need the appropriate ECU and harness, right?  Would the harness match all my plugs and sensors?  Will the throttle bodies mate to my airbox?  Surely somebody has been down this road before.  Any advise insight would be helpful.
2003 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange 50k

Nick Calne

Can't really offer any help, but can say that the motor on a 955 daytona is my favourite ever engine!  I think they are tuned a bit more aggressively than on a tiger.  There are far more daytona's in the world than tiger which makes sourcing parts a whole lot easier.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

Early Datonas use the same ECU and same programme base as the Tiger with a more aggressive fuel map, so the sensors and loom should be the same.  (I bought a Daytona ECU as a spare for mine when I was having mapping woes).  The cams are different and the ign advance map is more aggressive too hence the 140 bhp to the Tiger's 107.  I would imagine the Tiger to be a bit of a handful with that much power.

If you're really going down this route I could put some more time into the research.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

flux

So, uh, details on how you destroyed your motor?  Bummer mang.

EvilBetty

Yeah and if you could just post here that would great.  You've created at least 4 posts with the exact message in different sections.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

eatalotapeaches

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Early Datonas use the same ECU and same programme base as the Tiger with a more aggressive fuel map, so the sensors and loom should be the same.  (I bought a Daytona ECU as a spare for mine when I was having mapping woes).  The cams are different and the ign advance map is more aggressive too hence the 140 bhp to the Tiger's 107.  I would imagine the Tiger to be a bit of a handful with that much power.

If you're really going down this route I could put some more time into the research.

I'm a little confused, are you saying that YOU can find out more details about the swap or suggesting that I do more research?  I have no idea where to even begin to look, hence the post.  If you have any ideas please feel free to point me somewhere.  

What do you mean program base?  What "early" year Daytonas are comprable?  I guess bottom line is WHAT exactly would I need besides the motor?  After searching it seems easier to source a (high performance) Daytona or Sprint motor that has met an early demise than a Tiger motor.

eatalotapeaches

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Yeah and if you could just post here that would great.  You've created at least 4 posts with the exact message in different sections.

I know that some people have a tendency to mostly frequent certain sections of message boards.  I posted here for advise, in bikes for sale in case some one sees a salvage bike being sold, and also in everything else in case a motor comes up for grabs.  

By my count that would be 3 posts and I feel that each post was validated.  If a mod feels differently then delete or merge as needed.  I thought one of the strong points of joining a board like this is to pool information for those seeking advise.  I don't post much on here as I normally use the site as a reference for info and more importantly, I prefer to ride my bike then talk about riding my bike.  

As for the incident:  
I took a 1500 mile camping trip to out west.  My driving light broke off while of roading in Moab, Utah.  It put a small hole in radiator.  My tools and luggage were at the hotel, I had no cell service, and was 14 miles up a mountain road where there were no other people.  It was getting dark and  starting to rain so I decided to press on.  I coasted and pushed the bike when possible, driving when necessary.  I overheated it and the dealer here says I'm best off finding a used motor.

Daniel

EvilBetty

I'm not a MOD nor was I attempting to enforce any kind of posting policy.  I'm just saying it would be a little easier for everyone if the discussion on your issue was kept in one thread.

It's unnecessary to post multiple threads on a smaller board such as this.  Most of us comb it in it's entirety.

As to your engine trouble, did the dealer point to any particular failure?  It's rare, though not unheard of, for a complete engine to come up for sale.  Most of them seem to be parted out.  If I do see one come up though I'll be sure to post it here.

atokad

Quote from: "eatalotapeaches"
Quote from: "EvilBetty"Yeah and if you could just post here that would great.  You've created at least 4 posts with the exact message in different sections.

I know that some people have a tendency to mostly frequent certain sections of message boards.  I posted here for advise, in bikes for sale in case some one sees a salvage bike being sold, and also in everything else in case a motor comes up for grabs.  

By my count that would be 3 posts and I feel that each post was validated.  If a mod feels differently then delete or merge as needed.  I thought one of the strong points of joining a board like this is to pool information for those seeking advise.  I don't post much on here as I normally use the site as a reference for info and more importantly, I prefer to ride my bike then talk about riding my bike.  

As for the incident:  
I took a 1500 mile camping trip to out west.  My driving light broke off while of roading in Moab, Utah.  It put a small hole in radiator.  My tools and luggage were at the hotel, I had no cell service, and was 14 miles up a mountain road where there were no other people.  It was getting dark and  starting to rain so I decided to press on.  I coasted and pushed the bike when possible, driving when necessary.  I overheated it and the dealer here says I'm best off finding a used motor.

Daniel

Check with this guy on ADVrider: I met him on one ride this summer and he told me a bit about his "955i" project bike, which is for sale. I think it was a Daytona, but can't recall for sure.  

He is in Denver so maybe you could get the motor on your way home. Here's a link to his profile: http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=7136

eatalotapeaches

Me and the bike (not running) are home in Mississippi.  I sent the guy a message about his project.  Thanks for the heads up!  :D

eatalotapeaches

I saw oil seeping from between the block and head that night.  I figured the head/ gasket were ruined, so a trip to dealer was in order.  The dealer says I have no compression in the first 2 and 30 pounds in the third cylinder.

SERadtke

So based on a compression test, they're telling you the whole motor is shot?? Did they do a teardown, check the crank and bearings? You may be good to go w/ a set of pistons/rings/sleeves. Buy yourself a Triumph manual and throw a engine rebuild party. 8)

ed: You may find some useful info here
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... nt+daytona
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

Mustang

absolutely sounds rebuildable to me ....

new sleeves rings and pistons are about 500 bucks and unless the cylinder head is major warped ............which BTW is very likely  if you got it hot enuff to blow the head gasket
I would start looking for just a cylinder head and tear the motor down and check the bores and pistons , if they are good throw a new head gasket and a cylinder head on it from a breaker  and you will probably be good to go

most dealers are MORONS

EvilBetty