News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fairing Bolts Spinning uselessly!!!!!!!!!

Started by Tomas03, October 18, 2009, 11:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomas03

G'day Folks,
Haven't posted much since I joined as no real reason to 'cept idle chatter.  Been out enjoying the new rig.  Have been busy adding lots of stuff and when I'm done I will post a few pics.  Nothing radical, just bars, risers, pegs, gps mount, screen
AND was trying to mount hepco and becker crash bars but am finding it impossible because on both sides of the bike I have a couple of the fairing screws/bolts spinning and not coming out.

Does anyone have a solution as I started the project thinking I could complete it without taking the fairing off but I can't so now the bike is sitting there helplessly as the chassis bolts are undone and I can't do them up. :roll:  :BangHead  :ImaPoser
Daniel
Home is where the tiger is.

1998 Volcanic Red Steamer
1972 Honda XL250 MotoSport (the original dual purpose)
1982 Kwaka Gpz 550 race bike
1983 Mercedes 230TE wagon tow vehicle

Sin_Tiger

There is a good write up on this somewhere, do a search cos' I'm too lazy to do it for you  :P

Basically you have to be brave and use a drill / driver to spin them in situ, hoping that it melts the plastic then let it all cool down and hope that it's worked.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tomas03

Thanks.  I did a search before I posted but nothing obvious came up.  Any suggestions as to what words I should use int he search. :?:
Daniel

Sin_Tiger

Actually, I didn't even bother searching, now here's where you kick yourself  :lol: it's under the Steamer How To - Sticky numero uno  :oops:

Spinning Captive Nuts
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tomas03

Daniel

Mustang

be very patient and prudent or else you will have fixed the spinning nut but created a gas leak .

EvilBetty

Fixed things like that in similar situations with a hot soldering iron.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Tomas03

A friend of mine once said I have dicks for fingers because everything I touch I f#@K.  Well I well and truly did it.  

I successfully got the plugs out and was practicing putting them in to see how they would go back in then one of the holes ruptured and gas/petrol is pouring out. :cry:

I've already got some product called Quicksteel which is a putty type substance you rub to mix.  It specifically says if is for tank repairs of steel and plastic/fibreglass.   Any opinions.  
Pls reply before I get too drunk :new_all_coholic  :oops:
Daniel

akendall1966

You have my sympathy  :(   I ended up in the same place my fix is at the end of the thread below

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5594&highlight=
----AK-----

Tomas03

Thanks AK,
Thats a pretty good looking solution.  Unfortunately I had already completed mine.  I have been trying to post a couple of pics to show the hole I created and how my fix went, but the phone and laptop aren't talking to each other at the moment.  :? I don't know why they are arguing as I have trouble talking to them as well.

Anyway I just proceeded with Mustang's fix, using JB weld, the only difference being that Mustang says half fill the hole.  I fully filled the hole, pushed the captive nut into place, then smoothed out the area around the nut in hope there is no air bubbles etc :doubt

I've taken it for a couple of rides, including down some dirt roads and so far so good.  If it starts to leak, I might look at your solution. :eusa_clap

Will post some pics of the job soon  :icon_scratch  :icon_scratch
Daniel

Tomas03

Here's a couple of pics showing the trouble I got into.  I had 3 spinning bolts, but one of them leaked.  If you look at the picture the hole was in the top left corner, I'm pretty sure you can see it.  You can then see my JB weld fix.  I've now done some 500 km including some bumpy dirt roads and it appears to be holding.  :eusa_clap
Daniel