News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1999 Tiger Questions

Started by adamco2, August 19, 2004, 12:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamco2

I am looking at purchasing a used tiger.  I know very little about their maintenance and any specific issues.  The two things I noticed were the clutch had to be pulled in and released a couple of times before it would start and their was a small amount of oil around the gear shifter which.  Anyone know if these indicate major or minor problems?  It is a 1999 with 42,000 miles (kind of high?).  Any advice would be much appreciated.

:D

Scott P

I also have the same issue with the clutch........Anyone else????

KuzzinKenny

Hi guys !! never had an older Tigger but it might have the same type of clutch switch, it may just need a clean and elect/grease or WD/40ed  :lol:

http://www.bikebandit.com/1999-triumph- ... r/o/m17562

this place is great for Schematic drawins !! had to copy n paste Skewmatik  :lol:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Mustang

oil around the shifter shaft is just the seal weeping and is easily repaied with a new seal

sounds like the clutch safety switch needs to be replaced at the clutch lever , or learn to live with it  :D

SethTiger

Hi there,
I have a 99 also. I bought new in 2000.
I have had similar problem. For the last 4 to 5 years sometimes when I pull in clutch an try to start nothing would happen. Starter would not engage. Triumph dealer could never figure it out, took a good local mechanic. It was the clutch switch. Very inexpencive, I think under $15.00.
Just replace it.

PeteH

Oil around around the gear change could be excess chain oil? but if not and its not dripping then I would leave it alone.
As for clutch, it could be the switch..which is easy to check. Or it could be the harness failing. Mine failed on the crimped connecter under the plastic boot that covers the push in connecter, the wire had snapped/corroded inside the outer sheath so it wasnt evident.
This wire is tee`d off from the horn ground??? and will require the harness cover splitting to gain access to rather crude splicing.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Scott P

Thanks...........I'll see if I can clean the switch.  If I pull the clutch once or twice it has always started.  It's just a slight pain

macgart

I have a 99 and don't have a problem with the clutch switch although I do find that often I have to hit the starter button twice to get anything to happen.  I read somewhere that it is related to the crank position sensor.  ????

I have had mine for about 6 months now and have put about 10,000 miles on it.  Only problem so far has been a leaking fuel sender unit.  I have a about 34k miles on it now.   It's winter here now (-20 F this morning) so I've put her in our shop for winter maint.  Time to check the valves, do the fluids, etc.  Might even install my intimitators or what ever the hell they're called, since I have a set of KTM forks to rebuild as well.

Good luck with the bike.  The more I ride mine the more I like it.

I also just sent my seat to Spencer for some lovin' and should have it back in a few days.  Now I can't wait to do some 500 mile days!
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/