News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Let's talk about warped rotors - rear rotor in this case

Started by atokad, October 31, 2009, 04:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atokad

I know there have been a lot of documented problems and discussions on front rotors, but has anyone ever noticed if their rear rotor is warped?

Had my wheel off to get a new tire on it and while assessing the re-install I was running the bike in first gear on the center stand just to see if everything looked OK and noticed a nice wobble in the rear rotor.  It's very apparent as the rear disc brake can clearly be seen moving in an out about 1 mm.

I meticulously checked the rear axle to make sure it was equally spaced on each side and the wobble is still there.  I have not road tested the bike yet to see if I can actually feel anything, but I doubt it.  It's not like a front wheel where one would feel the wobble through the handlebars.

So questions:

Anyone else encountered this?
Am I headed for "failure" of the rear disc brake if I don't fix it?

I tend to use a lot more rear brake than front (maybe why my fronts have never warped?) since I grew up riding dirt.  13k miles and I have yet to replace the front brake pads but I am almost done with my second set of rear brake pads.

So - let's hear it.

KuzzinKenny

Did you feel rear brake pedel judder before you got the raer tyre changed ??

if not, i would think its been done by the tyre fitter with there bead breakin machine !! squashin the disc instead of the rim !! just a thought !!

KK

ps i use the rear brake a lot too !!

pps what mod of Tigger is it ??
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

TigerTrax

Believe it or not . . .  it is the fronts that tend to warp.

Depending on the year Tiger you have. . . Triumph Tiger rotors are a POS.

Before you go to gaagaa, clean the rotor using a very lite emory cloth and cleaner. Residue from the brake pads can 'build-up' on the rotor if
the bike is left to sit while the pads/rotor are still hot. I actually found that on my '06. I dressed up the rotor and removed and cleaned up the pads...
I cleared much of my 'pulsing' on front brake . . . which I was certain the
rotors were warped badly. They are out of spec, but just a hair.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

atokad

No rear brake shudder or pulsating prior to having the wheel off to fit a new tire.  I thought about the shop possible fudging up the rotor during dis/mounting the new tire, but I really can't believe that would be the case.

They are the Premier wheel/tire shop in Denver and for a thousand miles around.  http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

So, I've yet to go ride it, since we had 20" of snow here on Weds/Thurs this week, the roads are a bit like rivers yet today with the 65 degree weather and sunshine we are having.  :D

atokad

Finally got the bike out for a test run. No pulsating, wobbling, chattering, nothing.

Feels totally normal. Anyone else put theirs on the center stand and run it in gear to watch the rear disc?

PeteH

The rear on my 885i is warped - picked up on the roller at MOT time, the only thing I can put it down to is riding while the rear caliper slider was siezed. Still rides ok with no noticable pulsing and the pads last a lot longer with cleaned and lubed sliders.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour