News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Location of Alarm Connection / Alarm bypass on 955i Tiger

Started by CharlestonRider, November 10, 2009, 07:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlestonRider

Hello All,
I am in the process of troubleshooting an electrical gremlin on my new (to me) 2001 Tiger.  My bike will occasionally begin to stall while I am riding and throw a MIL light and Low Fuel light.  But, within 1-2 seconds the lights go out and the bike runs fine.  This only happens on occasion (i.e., I can go for several hundred miles without it happening).  So, I am in the process of trying to find what appears to be an electrical short.  

According to the manual, the MIL and Low Fuel light share a common pathway through the alarm connection, so I want to check the connection at the alarm bypass (I don't have an alarm on my bike).  Where is this connection?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

CharlestonRider

CharlestonRider

I found it!  For those of you who don't know where it is, the alarm bypass connector is located under the tailsection (in front of the taillight).

My connector appeared to be a little loose, so I am hopeful I have solved my electrical problem

CharlestonRider

Bixxer Bob

Well done CR,  I often wondered where it was, but never needed to look (up till now anyway, touching wood, not tempting fate etc...)  I'd half guessed it's somewhere like that as I've been most other places it could be hidden at one time or another....

Stand by for a round of wood-touching jokes....  :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

CharlestonRider

Just thought I would update my thread regarding the MIL and low fuel lights accompanied by a stall.  As I indicated above, I located the alarm bypass connector and I believe that the connector was somewhat loose.  So, I cleaned the connections and have secured the connector to ensure that it stays put.  I am fairly certain that this is (was) the cause of my electrical problem.  I have ridden my Tiger for 120 miles since the repair and have had no problems whatsoever.  So, for those of you who are experiencing this problem (I read of a few threads describing these symptoms), check your alarm bypass connection.  The 12 volt supply to the ECM goes through that connection and any disruption of that current (obviously) will cause problems.

If the problem resurfaces (i.e., the bypass connector is not the problem) I will post again to this thread.

CharlestonRider