News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolant Leak

Started by Medic09, December 30, 2009, 10:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic09

I have a coolant drip that occurs only when the temps drop way down.  Like every night this time of year.  My Tiger sits in the driveway.  It looks like it is dripping down from way up on the radiator or hose, under the tank where I can't quite see it.

Anyone else have this problem?  Seems like something is contracting in the cold, allowing the leak.  Suggestions, before I pull the tank off my daily transportation?

Thanks!
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

ChazzyB

Mine drips too  :oops: . The thermostat/filler housing is plastic and one of the hose spigots has deformed under pressure from the hose clamp.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

ackme

I think this is not an uncommon problem.  My 05 did this last winter after I had purchased it in October.  It would happen overnight when the temperature went well below freezing even though the bike was garaged.

At first I thought it was the cap. So I replaced the radiator cap with the after market unit that fits Honda cars (somewhere in Stretch's numerous posts there is a note on which model).  This did not solve the problem in my case and I eventually traced the leak to the top of one of the upper hoses.  

I asked the guys at my local Triumph shop and they recommended re-placing the stock hose clamps with wider ones.  This seems to have done the trick.  Apparently the narrow stock ones are relatively cheap (imagine!) and the wider ones provide a better seal when the hose shrinks up in the cold.

ack
The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.

2005 955i Tiger, British Racing Green- plenty of umph

Mustang

some of the Girly bikes were prone to leaking head gaskets  that would only show up when the weather conditions are as you describe

HappyMan

I thought mine had the head gasket problem as it was only leaking when the temp dropped but I got up under the tank with a long driver and tightened the hose clamp and my problem ceased.  I hope your solution is as easy!
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

wingnut111

that's good to know that I'm not alone in this. I've just been topping off the res to the full line. I have to check out the hoseclamps.
If it has 2 or 3 wheels I\'ll ride it, race it or wreck it... possibly all three

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "wingnut111"that's good to know that I'm not alone in this. I've just been topping off the res to the full line. I have to check out the hoseclamps.

Hey wingnut111 !! don`t fill to the MAX or it will spit out coolant !! the Tigger likes it just between MAX n MIN !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

wingnut111

If it has 2 or 3 wheels I\'ll ride it, race it or wreck it... possibly all three

AUtiger

Wow, I am having the same issue, but I am almost betting mine is leaking where the temperature sensor holder is plugged in. It is held in place by some sort of snap ring looking retainer and I am guessing there is an O-ring in there leaking. Its real hard to see where mine is actually leaking from and too cold to work on right now. I 'll post back when I further diagnose it.

Same deal though, only when extremely cold and parked outside under cover.

HappyMan

Mind had fit the description of something worse so I put off the repair until I had time to look into it.  Low and behold it was nice and simple.  Sometimes life smiles on 'ya.  Here's hoping it will for you guys.  :thumbsup
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Medic09

Well, I have spotted a little drip at the head gasket.  It's really small, and when I run the motor it disappears.  For now, I'm not going to fiddle with it.
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

EvilBetty

Definitely a known issue in colder temperatures.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD