News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mounting shock

Started by rf9rider, January 29, 2010, 11:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

I now have all the original swing arm and shock to replace the trophy items on the tiger.
I just need to know where and how to route the pipe from the shock for the reservoir, its the one that fits onto left hand side of engine.
Had a look through the steamer pics, couldn`t find anything to help.
Any help or tips appreciated! Cheers Chaps. :D

NeilD

dunno if these help... it sort of disapears down in front of the battery box.. :?

Mustang

yep you got to take the battery box out so you can pass the reservoir up and over the airbox and route like in Neils pics .then reinstall the batter box , nothing comes easy on a steamer  :roll:

rf9rider

Thanks Chaps, thats helped.

Just looked at bike and noticed the reservoir mounting bracket is missing, so a used one is on its way.  :roll:

Colonel Nikolai

I just went through that a few weeks ago putting a sasquatch-rebuilt rear shock on it (can't wait to test it). I wish the reservoir were under the seat like the rest of the line from this era had done it.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

rf9rider

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"I just went through that a few weeks ago putting a sasquatch-rebuilt rear shock on it (can't wait to test it). I wish the reservoir were under the seat like the rest of the line from this era had done it.

Worst job was getting the battery box out, bottom bolt had seized solid, had to undo the bottom bracket and wriggle it out.
Just need to drill the bolt out and replace it.

And it turns out the secondhand shock i bought isn`t much good, it needs a rebuild or i might buy a new Hagon.  :roll:

Colonel Nikolai

I haven't tested the new sasquatch rebuilt shock I got yet, but from everything I've heard on this board people totally love these things and compare them to much more expensive ones like from ohleines or something.

I've actually heard bad things about hagons on this forum. I can't vouch for or against personally, but do some searches on this forum to see for yourself.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Sin_Tiger

I guess you could say Hagons are mid market range as opposed to Ohlins and the like. My own experience with Hagon has been good on the sales and service side.

I ordered a Mono for my Varadero along with some fork springs (after reading a few good reports) I wasn't looking for track capable performance. They couriered the lot, including fork oil out to me in Singapore within 10 days and the cost including carriage was less than a basic Wilbers mono alone would have been bought locally and I would have had to wait 6 weeks for stock.

Performance was very good, set up for my weight and riding style before delivery and it was spot on when I checked it and rode it. 20,000 kms later I noticed a slight oil weep around the seal, the handling performance was not affected any more than I would have expected after that mileage. Stock Honda / Showa shocks are pretty much totally shot by 25k. I emailed Hagon and they suggested I send it back for a free rebuild as it was still withiin the two year warranty period. So I hand carried it back to the UK on leave and mailed it to them. They rebuilt it, added a remote Hyd. preload as requested, kept me informed every step of the way, and got it back to me within 10 days. This all happened over the Christmas / New Year period in the UK during the coldest winter in 30 years and with the Post Office playing up again.

They charged me for delivery and the remote preload only, no questions, no quibbles and commited the rebuilt unit to another full 2 years warranty as per original. When I queried what had gone wrong I was told that some grit had gotten into the seal and damaged it, I suspect local bike wash use of pressure washer, so not really a material or component failure.

Now that's what I call customer service  :thumbsup

I don't believe they make exuberant claims about race pedigree or performance, they just seem to quietly get on with the job of delivering good value for money and above all good service. I would certainly use another Hagon in the future.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

Thanks for the info.
I bought a Hagon shock for one of my old YZF750`s i rebuilt, i was quite happy with it.
Think i`m going to have this one rebuilt, and see how i get on with it.
Shipping costs to and from the USA will make it too expensive for a Sasquatch rebuild, but theres a place up in Bradford that does a good a good job who i`ve used before.

Bixxer Bob

Running Hagon on the rear of the 'Bird.  didn't realise how bad the OE had been until I rode the Hagon.  It's firm, but well damped.  The faster you go the better it works.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

I put a white power one on my UK Girly and that's brill, don't know if they're still listed for those though.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

rf9rider

Just another question about the original shock, does/should the black plastic outer casing on the reservoir turn on the reservoir?

And is the small Showa sticker for real?