News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The First Glitch

Started by Timbox2, February 04, 2010, 07:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

So, Ive nearly had it a week, and the fuel gauge seems to have gone west, Ive done a search and it seems to be fairly common.

This was the first time I let the fuel go to the warning light, the gauge was showing pretty empty, so I pulled in to a garage fairly soon after the light came on and a bit over 18 liters went in, so 6 liters left which is what Triumph say in the book.

But then after leaving the garage, light still on and gauge showing empty, thought it might be sticky so at a set of lights I jammed the front brake on   (Who says Tiger brakes are crap, I nearly stood it on its face), anyway that actually put the light out, but the gauge is still showing empty, so new sender unit I presume??

PS: My light came on at 180 miles, 18 liters in so  approx 45MPG, not too bad Im thinking, I was playing a bit with the first tank full and only got 38MPG. UK Miles and gallons by the way.
2016 Tiger Sport

EvilBetty

Yup... new Fuel Sending Unit.

I've seen them on eBay for about $20 (get one from a 2006 or newer Tiger, or other triumph bike with the same part number for the FSU).  Otherwise they are about $95 from the dealer.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Bixxer Bob

Figures are all about right so no probs there.

My gauge sticks occasionally, but usually frees itself off in a mile or two with the vibration.  I just use it as an excuse to rev the nuts off it.

I fill her up, zero the trip and then I know I need to be looking for fuel at around 190 to 200.  Light usually comes on around 195.  Sometimes, depending on ttraffic I can be sweating on 210-215, no light, gauge off the bottom and quitely certain it's broke.  Then I bottle out and fill up and squeeze 22 litres or so in.... :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BigMark

leave it a while they normally decide to work again, but only when they are good and ready :shock:

Timbox2

Thanks Guys, I'll try and free her off then, oh dear, means Ill have to ride her again, shame :)
2016 Tiger Sport

jphish

Hey Tim - sorry for your troubles. But LO Tigers don't need no stinkin fuel gauge. None of my other bikes gott 'em (except the ST) so I go with the trip odo and a 32oz MSR bottle straped on...just in case I miscalculate. I'd use the bumpy road / high rev methood to unstick it.

Timbox2

Quote from: "jphish"Hey Tim - sorry for your troubles. But LO Tigers don't need no stinkin fuel gauge. None of my other bikes gott 'em (except the ST) so I go with the trip odo and a 32oz MSR bottle straped on...just in case I miscalculate. I'd use the bumpy road / high rev methood to unstick it.

Your right of course, and my last bike never had a gauge, but If somethings there I want it to work, even if its totally inacurate :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

BigMark

Quote from: "Timbox2"Your right of course, and my last bike never had a gauge, but If somethings there I want it to work, even if its totally inacurate :lol:

Don't worry it will be totally inacurate, well mine is... 8)

jphish

Yeah - the gauge is sort of a 'relative fuel indicator' - Mine stays on full for first 100 mi... then drops so fast you can almost watch it move. I don't pay much attention til I hit about 200 mi.

Timbox2

well, it fixed itself this morning.

Fair play to performance Triumph, I was up in cheltenham today and popped in and saw the service manager and asked him about the fuel gauge, "Yep, they all do that was his sort of reply"  "We can put a new one in if you like, £118 fitted, but the likelihood is that one will do the same in a year or two, they normally sort themselves out after a while, and we have found that if you don't run the tank too empty, they're not so bad"

Ah well, his honesty was refreshing :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

EvilBetty

Quote from: "Timbox2"Your right of course, and my last bike never had a gauge, but If somethings there I want it to work, even if its totally inacurate :lol:

COMPLETELY agree!  If it hadn't come with a gauge... fine.  But it's there and it's broken now so it has to be fixed :)

Usually once these fail it's due to the float in the sending unit swelling.  It might un-stick for a while but it will probably stick again.

The 2006 and newer FSU design uses a redesigned float.  I think you can actually buy the float by itself but then you have to service the FSU, and it requires some luck and finesse :)
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Chris Canning

Mine has always been the same,needle goes from full to off the dial in around the 125mile mark another 50 to light.

KuzzinKenny

Hey Timbox2 !! its good to hear your atleast gettin out on yer Tigger !! mines been pacin up n down in the garage since december   :shock:

i don`t know if this works but i put Redex in my fuel, mostly when i remember but it must be about every third tankfull !! its suppost to keep the tank from rustin ( tanks plastic ) keep the fuel lines clean, lube the pump and probably the sender unit, clean the injectors and lube the uppercylinder area !!   :?

but i put it in cos i`ve always done it !!

might help !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Timbox2

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Hey Timbox2 !! its good to hear your atleast gettin out on yer Tigger !! mines been pacin up n down in the garage since december   :shock:

i don`t know if this works but i put Redex in my fuel, mostly when i remember but it must be about every third tankfull !! its suppost to keep the tank from rustin ( tanks plastic ) keep the fuel lines clean, lube the pump and probably the sender unit, clean the injectors and lube the uppercylinder area !!   :?

but i put it in cos i`ve always done it !!

might help !!

KK

Might be worth a try KK, cheers mate, yep me and Tigger are getting out quite a bit, here she is today in the Chepstow area

2016 Tiger Sport