News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

05 Tiger suspension

Started by chrisf, June 16, 2004, 02:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisf

Hello all, just joined the board as i'll probably be ending up with a Tiger. Got to wait at least another month tho before i can get a test ride from my local dealer here in Newcastle. Does anyone know if the suspension on the 05 is (a lot) better than the models before it? Cheers all

ktmtery

Just got a new '05 Tiger, and yes the new suspension and steering geometry is a very significant improvement from previous models.

The '04 I rode tended to wallow a bit in the front end and often needed midturn corrections. The '05 is definetly also a better handling machine than any GS, V-Strom, Caponord or Multistrada. Plus the engine is silky smooth and sounds neat too.
I am a Northern Californis male born in London Ontario Canada known as a superman to friends. standing 6\'2\' 220 lbs. of unadultered muscle ready for any female mororcyclist on earth. Quite handsome too.

chrisf

Had a test ride yesterday on a 04 and loved it, gotta wait a few more weeks for Triumph to get more 05's out then i'll be 7 grand lighter. Can anyone advise on the Triumph race can as to the noise difference over stock? I don't like race cans but i could hear nothing from behind me when riding it with the stock can so am thinking of buying one of these. I leave for work at 6am so is it too offensive for that?!...Also can the new one's be repacked otherwise after 15,000 miles the can is kanckered?

Cheers all

Brock

The Triumph race can is gorgeous. I too, hate loud cans but the standard one is just too quiet. At tickover or low revs the race can is quite acceptable, just giving a bit more "burble" than the standard one. But when you give it the beans it growls. Still not too loud though... It's stainless, and looks just like the standard one, so there's less chance you'll attract attention at the roadside. The re-map at the Triumph dealer is a 15 minute job. My can spent years on Chris Canning's bike before I had it, and after an additional 9,000 miles there's no sign of it needing "re-packing". It's going on the new bike when there's a few more miles on her. Can't wait. Do it...you won't regret it.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

chrisf

Thanks for the reply Chris. I'll probably end up getting one, but i hope to hear one on a Tiger first. Heard it on a Daytona and it's too loud when caning it, but dealer says its quiter on the Tiger.

Marcus Triumphus

Hey guys:

I'm riding an 01 Sprint ST, which I love. Am also interested in following the development of the Tiger, and the experience of those of you who ride it. I ride a bike 100%, since I don't own a car. Haven't ridden a Tiger yet, and only know one person who owns one (an 03,I think). I've read lots of good reports on the bike, but many knocks about spongy front end and a rear suspension that may not be entirely clever. Also, I've found it hard to find reviews of any Tiger newer than 2002. Can you direct me to ones you've found? Many thanks.

Brock

Marcus...don't be put off by stories about the Tigers suspension. It's a big Adventure-Tourer...none of them handle like a sports bike, but the Tiger is definitely one of the best. True, you will see an improvement with stiffer springs at the front (as on the '05) or even a full Ohlins replacement set-up front & rear. But you would on any bike. You just adapt your riding style...I dont experience any wallowing or bouncing about  because I know what causes it and avoid it.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

ATDRS

Hi Chrisf.

I have only 20 miles on an 03 Tiger so my comparo with my 05 is incomplete but even at my weight (280) the 05 suspension is very good. This is as close to a sport bikes handling as I need to be but much more comfortable. Minimal fork dive and it is very stable in the sweepers.

As to the Triumph pipe. I too dislike loud pipes, especially here in the land of slow but loud Harleys, but the Triumph pipe is only noticeable when you are on the gas. At cruise it is not even heard (with earplugs) in my opinion.

Previous bike was a DL-1000 V-Strom and I strongly believe that the Tiger, in either guise, has a far superior suspension.(just for refrence)

Enjoy safely...

Marcus Triumphus

Brock: Thanks for the insights. Do you know of "reviews" written? I keep thinking there should be many, but I cannot find them. BTW, I've just spent most of $900- for the 12K maintenance and new Metzlers, so I'll want to ride out at least another year or so. I'm leaving on a 10-14 day ride tomorrow (I hope), and am harboring a secret wish that it would be on a Tiger rather than my Sprint.

Cheers,

Mark

chrisf

Hopefully i'll soon find out for myself as i bought a 05 and am awaiting delivery. Gonna get the sports pipe fitted as everyone i heard from says it's a

must  :)

Roy

I can give a good comparison between the '05 Tiger and '02 Tiger.  I had 43,000 miles on my 02 when I was hit and the bike was totaled.  I replaced it with an 05.  I have about 2100 miles on my 05.  The most notible change is the much much quicker steering.  To change from hard lean left to hard lean right requires much less effort.  The firmer front forks also give less compression and thus more ground clearence when in a banked turn.  

My 05 has the off road Triumph pipe with the 10121 tune that I have been modifying with Tune Boy and Tune Edit.  Do not have it quite where I want it below 3000 rpm.  Above 3000 it pulls much stronger than my 02 without the pipe.

Roy

Lucifertiger

Just wanted to know if the 05 was strickly a road bike or can you take it on dirt roads & tracks like the 04?, & if so how does it go on the dirt comparted to the 04?

:evil: