News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 Tiger replacement shock shopping & question on opti

Started by ericw94061, February 12, 2010, 10:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericw94061

FYI, here's what I found when shopping for a replacement shock for my '06 Girly:

Hyperpro – 2 options:
-   Type 467 Remote Res, Part# TR09-7AB, $899.95.  
-   Type 460 Emulsion Type $589.95
-   Options for either: Length Adjuster Single $99.95, Twin Length Adjust $149.95; Spring: either Linear or Hyperpro Rising Rate; Hydraulic Preload Adjust $279.95
-   http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.php? ... link3d=yes

Works Performance Products
-   No Remote Preload Adjuster for $679.  Overall length = 14.5" with height adjustment.  Single Rate Spring.  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph- ... ccessories
-   Still waiting on their tech support to find out whether they can do remote preload adjust.

Hagon – Emulsion type only.  No remote reservoir, but can get remote preload adjuster.  In the USA, sole authorized distributor is http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi ... Hagon.html
-   'Stock' length and spring rate $ 441.00
-   SEAT LOWERING $ 516.00
-   UPRATED SPRING $ 516.00
-   W/REMOTE PRELOAD ADJUSTER $ 620.00
-   W/REMOTE PRELOAD ADJUSTER and UPRATED SPRING $ 669.00
-   LOWERED W/REMOTE PRELOAD ADJUSTER $669.00
-   PRICES DO NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING.

Race Tech – nothing listed in the catalog but are willing to custom-build one.
Elka suspension – nothing available, do 1050's only
Ohlins suspension – nothing available, do 1050's only

QUESTIONS--Is the Emulsion type ok or should I spring the extra (forgive the pun :D ) for the Hyperpro with remote reservoir?  I'm 250# and about 50% of the time the wife and luggage will add another 200#, so remote preload adjust is high priority.  Height adjust is a nice feature too since we're both tall.  Probably 95% road riding, commuting, sport touring, occasional backroad scratching.  No track days on the Tigger, that's what my Hayabusa's for!

Anything else I should consider? I don't want to cheap out and buy a shock not much better than the stocker, but at the same time the fully-optioned Hyperpro is >$1200!

Thanks,
Eric
\'06 Tiger, \'03 Hayabusa, lotsa bikes previously incl. \'95 Tiger

Chris Canning

Can i digress a little!!

I always view the cost of a shock on a rental basis,not what your going to be paying,but how much you'll get for it when you sell,thats the true cost!!

My Tiger gets mainly ridden two up with some kit,that doesn't mean it doesn't get ridden hard,because even when i'm on the Tiger,i'm R1 in my head!!,buy a shock that has remote preload,separate compression and rebound,if it has a ride height ajuster even better.

I'd check if Wilbers do one,but make sure it comes with all the bells and whistles(stock trim they don't),and i'd also ask your Ohlins importer about getting a shock made up,i recently had my Ohlins not only rebuilt,but re-shimmed because i wanted the action stiffer,the guy who did it refered to an original Ohlins spec sheet for the 955i

Timbox2

Ive been looking, Wilbers do a bells and whistles shock, 1100 Euro's, so about $1500 :(

Im waiting on an email from Maxton to see if they can do one, going on their web site, they charge about £700 for all the bits.
2016 Tiger Sport

Advwannabe

Eric,

Chris is spot on here. I bought the Hagon with remote preload. As a replacement for the sacked out non rebuildable stocker it was an improvement and the preload range covers me for pillion nad luggage. So far so good.

Where we run into problems is in more 'testing' conditions. It is not a premium shock and extended periods riding it like a Daytona or rough gravel and it simply gets too hot and the damping dissappears. Less than a year after I got it the rear end was chattering badly even up a mild rough gravel uphill. The Hagon at least is rebuildable and I'm taking mine to an expert to see if it can be made a bit more durable.

You will find people around the place who can round up Valentino Rossi, cross the Tenere and give Stefan Everts a thing or two to think about at Cosy Creek, all with the stock shock. Good for them. Review your needs and be honest with yourself about your usage. If you are going to push the bike a bit, go the premium shock. Otherwise the Hagon works well enough.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180