News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Breather seal.....again

Started by AndyM, February 01, 2010, 06:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyM

So what is the trick to installing the breather seal in the stator cover? I've done it twice over the last three or for years. Last time was a few months ago and i also put in the spacer shown in the parts diagram. Should I have not used the spacer.

This past weekend I went for a ride to Death Valley and spent alot of time riding hard at high speeds. I topped off the oil at the beginning of the day and it's possible that i overfilled it by less than 1/2 a quart.

Twelve hours and 500 miles later it looked like this.

Mustang

Quote from: "AndyM"spent alot of time riding hard at high speeds. I topped off the oil at the beginning of the day and it's possible that i overfilled it by less than 1/2 a quart.

Twelve hours and 500 miles later it looked like this.
has to go somewhere when over full and hard high speed rpms contribute greatly .
before tearing into the seal again try with the oil at the correct level ....... :shock:

EvilBetty

+1

If that doesn't cut it, what has been recommend is to pull the old seal.  Press in new seal but leave the mandrill in place till the very last second before you put the cover back on the bike.

When ready place new gasket and sealant (when necessary), then pull the mandrill and put the cover on as quickly and cleanly as possible.  Then let the bike set 24h to allow the seal to conform.

I can't vouch for that procedure or how much of it is nessassary.  It waswas found in the Daytona forums and from the mouth of a mechanic at EngleMotors in KC.

The last time I had to change the seal I followed this procedure and I've had no oil in the breather tube since.  It's still disappearing but it's not in the breather!  :roll:
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

AndyM

Not for sure that I overfilled it. If I did it wasn't by much and it has been overfilled worse before without leaking so bad.

Last time I replaced the breather I just loosened the crashbar enough to get the cover on and it did not go on cleanly. I'll replace it again with the crashbar completely off and out of the way. will also use a handfull of guide pins to make sure it goes on clean and straight.

Bike is an oil burner for sure. has been since I got it a few years ago. Seems to burn more as the oil gets older so I'm doing more frequent changes now and that seems to help.

Here's another pic I took this weekend. I took the pic on Friday. Odo now reads 91,653

EvilBetty

Whoa!  Nice! :bowdown

I have the Happy Trail crash bars with the oil/coolant guards so I know exactly what your talking about.  The worst part of that job is pulling the crash bars.

The first time I tried to change the seal myself, used a socket to set the seal.  I got it in crooked and marred it badly.  The next time I let the dealer press it for a few bucks...

Again, it's not leaking up the breather seal anymore but I'm still burning a 1/4 quart (never seems to be any more or less than that) every couple fill ups.  Latest word going around is that it's due to too gentle of a break in, which apparently is causing glazing.

I find it hard to believe that the guy I bought this bike from followed the break in procedure since he never did anything but change oil on it up to 20K, but who knows.

TheMule

Quote from: "AndyM"Odo now reads 91,653

That is sweet!

Sorry about the oil issue but it's great to see a tiger with those miles.

hope things get squared away and you can post a pic with 180,000.

good luck,

Todd
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

AndyM

Replaced the seal, again, on Sunday. Removed the TB crashbar so I could get a straight shot at putting the stator cover back on. Used several guide pins to align the cover and kept the plastic widget in the seal until just seconds before I put the cover back on the bike. Let the bike sit for a good 24 hours before I started it to give the seal a chance to conform to the shaft.

The breather seal has changed a bit. Used to be part number T3600091. Dealer told me it has been replaced by T3600089. New seal is a bit thinner than the old and is blue instead of red.

EvilBetty

:?

Weird... all 3 of mine have been silver with a black seal.  There was a blue waxy substance on them.  Green mandrill.  Mine have all been T3600089 as well.  BikeBandit doesn't even list T3600091

AndyM

Quote from: "EvilBetty":?

Weird... all 3 of mine have been silver with a black seal.  There was a blue waxy substance on them.  Green mandrill.  Mine have all been T3600089 as well.  BikeBandit doesn't even list T3600091

I meant blue on the edge like your pic. Ones I used before were red. Silver with black seal is the same. Part numbers I used are Triumph numbers not BikeBandit.

EvilBetty

Gotcha.

What I mean was BikeBandit can't even resolve that Triumph part number.