News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolant Leak

Started by Fe Man, February 17, 2010, 11:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fe Man

Left side, near radiator!

I found a couple of drips on the garage floor but I can't find where it is coming from.

Any suggestions?

Timbox2

I take it you mean Left when sat on bike, if so the housing with the Radiator cap and hoses is up there, so first guess would be the cap, you probably need to lift the tank to get a good look, it should be easy to spot as the coolant will stain wherever its coming from.
2016 Tiger Sport

flux

Chuck, I had the same issue when I was on a road trip to Florida.  Get you a nice LED flashlight and search every nook and cranny from under the bike looking along the hoses under the tank.  Make sure all your hose clamps are tight.  Loose clamp was the culprit on my bike.  The bitch of it was that I could have tightened it w/o tank removal if it the part you get to with a long screwdriver was rotated a different direction just a little.  You might be surprised how many are loose.  

Try that before you take that bitch of a tank of.   8)

If that doesn't work, try the radiator cap.  But I'd be willing to bet you got a loose clamp somewhere.  I ended up keeping a few worm-drive clamps in my toolkit just in case.  Good luck!

Fe Man

Yeah, I gotta get some better lights for the garage!!

Loose clamp!

EvilBetty

Is it really cold out there?

May just be the head gasket seeping a bit...

"They all do that..."
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Is it really cold out there?

"They all do that..."

:shock: EB, don't do that to him, work up to it gently.... let him check the hoses and rad cap thinking it's a cheap fix,,, THEN hit him with the biggy!!!

:ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

SERadtke

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "EvilBetty"Is it really cold out there?

"They all do that..."

:shock: EB, don't do that to him, work up to it gently.... let him check the hoses and rad cap thinking it's a cheap fix,,, THEN hit him with the biggy!!!

:ImaPoser

You two are EVIL!!!!
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

HappyMan

I had the same leak.  it only took tightening of the hose clamp.  Easy fix and did it without removing anything.  Just a long screwdriver and some patience.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

AndyM

I had a similar leak. Left side of engine, just a few drops now and then. I tightened and replaced hoses, changed the radiator cap more than once. Started to tear in to the thermostat housing and found it. Spent two years looking for the leak.

Was a .98 cent o-ring that goes on the fan switch. Triumph part number T3600210, BikeBandit number 5576912.001. Item #4 on the cooling system schematic.
It had got hard and brittle over time. Simple to replace once you have the tank off.

aesdj

I've just replaced my coolant and it looks as if they is some coolant coming from around the cap. Is the cap a bit of a weak point on these then?