News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tire Iron with Wrench

Started by Nimrod11, September 19, 2010, 04:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrod11

Oh wise ones,

Does this work for a Girly?

Tire Iron with Wrench

What size nut is it?

Thanks!
----------
Tiger 2004

TigerTrax

I think I am going to ask a friend if I can video him mounting a new rear tire to the rim on a 955 Tiger with TWO hands and ONE tire tool .... in about 8 minutes. (Long tire iron). Most dealerships will charge $25 -$40 a tire to do this on a machine and take longer!.

I've done this at home in the garage..... bitch! SO I watched closely and saw how he worked the tire iron and pressed the bead in place working his way around the tire.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

tett

Yes, those will work fine.  24mm front and 27mm rear.

I am looking for a dual end box wrench with those two sizes but have not found a nice one yet.  Would kill for one in titanium but have only seen these at about $500.  

I have a set of titanium aerostich levers and plastic rim protectors.  Got those because best for my travel repair kit, small and super light.  Had no problem replacing both tires on my Girly.  

The wrenches you found will work great.  The key is technique.  Breack the bead all around and then make sure the bead opposite where you are lifting is well into the centre of the rim.  Then these do not take much to pop on or off.

And, make sure you protect your rims.

Cheers!

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

cosmo

It sounds crude, but I have had great luck breaking beads by running a car up onto the tyre in such a manner to not touch the rim, but roll the tyre off the rim. Has worked on everything but a 2CV.
Use wood blocks to  hold the rim off the pavement.
To put a tyre back on easily, I spray a blackening product around the bead.
Best to spray outside on one and inside on the other, as the tyre will have to slide over the rim in that manner. Do not get on tread.
Last time I did mine, I was able to walk the rear on without tools, and just a touch of tyre iron for the front.
No damage to the rims, in case you're wondering.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Nimrod11

Thanks Wise ones! A video of changing tires would be sooooo nice... I can just see myself stuck in nowhere in Bolivia with a flat and just cursing everything...
----------
Tiger 2004