News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help w 12 min reset/tune

Started by wingnut111, June 24, 2010, 07:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingnut111

I'd read something about this here before but can't find the thread. Do you let it idle until the fan goes on and THEN wait is min while idling to reset the works or what? And what exactly does it do?
Thanx in advance, Van
If it has 2 or 3 wheels I\'ll ride it, race it or wreck it... possibly all three

Mustang

using the search button for '12 minute tune' turned this up instantly  :shock:

The Twelve-Minute Tune resets all the values read by the various sensors, and starts the 'learning' portions of the ECU over with a clean slate.

With the bike stone-cold, start the engine, then touch nothing. You don't want to give it any throttle, brake, clutch, or any other input to the ECU. Just start it and let it idle.

Start your timer when the radiator fan first turns on. Give it the full twelve minutes, then shut the bike off with the key (not the red kill rocker switch).

jphish

Good question wingnut. Mustang: Is there a particular set of circumstances where one would want to "clean the ECUs slate" ?

Mustang

Quote from: "jphish"Good question wingnut. Mustang: Is there a particular set of circumstances where one would want to "clean the ECUs slate" ?
if any of the sensor inputs get out of whack it starts over with a clean slate and lets the ecu start learning some new inputs from O2 sensors and such .
so after you do a twelve minute tune you need to ride a couple of three or four times to let the ecu get the trims back where they need to be

tyger

Sounds like it should be reset after replacing air filter,spark plugs, o2 sensor, and anything else that might impact the mixture, combustion, and exhaust. Like making holes in the airbox. :D
\'05 Tiger, BRG
tyger, tyger, burning bright...
What immortal hand or eye/ Could frame thy fearful symmetry? (W.Blake)

wingnut111

The reason I ask is that my bike's popping on decel would this posibly help? Could it possibly hurt?
If it has 2 or 3 wheels I\'ll ride it, race it or wreck it... possibly all three

chairhead

If the bike is popping and banging on deceleration it could be that you have an air leak,mine does it,but i like it,so im leaving it :D
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

tyger

I remember reading that these beasts all snap-crackle-pop on overrun.
\'05 Tiger, BRG
tyger, tyger, burning bright...
What immortal hand or eye/ Could frame thy fearful symmetry? (W.Blake)

Bixxer Bob

I've tuned MOST of the popping out of mine by adding large amounts of fuel at low throttle settings.   It hasn't noticeably affected mileage,  I averaged 49.5 mph on my run to Betws-y-coed and back yesterday.  and I've got a significant BHP hike as well (partly down to the Blueflame can).
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

macgart

I had to do a reset after having a new map loaded.

Thanks to Mustang and others here for steering me in the right direction.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/