News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Brake Pad Wear !!

Started by pauljones1227, August 29, 2004, 07:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljones1227

I have an 05 Tiger, 2 months old and 2100 miles on the clock.

I read some posts about brake pad wear on the t955i forum so I decided to check mine

The front seem fine , but on the back there is hardly any left at all, nearly down to the metal !!!! surely this isn't right !!!!

Considering most of the braking load is done by the front, and no I don't ride with my foot on the pedal.

Has anyone else experienced this....and will my dealer hear me out on this, or do I have to change my pads 5 or 6 times a year.

Any advise appreciated

ta

NortonCharlie

My 01 955 Tiger got 18,000 miles on the rear pads and about 32,000 on the fronts.  I replaced the rear with EBC organic pads and they last about 8000-9000 miles.  After a few sets of those I went back to Triumph pads.  I do alot of hiway riding so they don't get over used sometimes.  But I do get into the brakes pretty good playing on the backroads.

I have about 1500 on the new rear Triumph pads and they seem to holding up OK.

2100 miles doesn't seem like enough time to wear them out.

What have you heard about brake pad wear on the 955's?
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Howlin

Norton,"riding hard",is that before or after a ÎGunder burgerÌ? :shock:

NortonCharlie

Howlin,  I'd have to say after the Gunder Burger.  Got tp consider the extra load.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Looking through my service receipts. I had fronts and rear pads replaced at the 18000 mile service.

Phil/TX

Look at the plunger for the master cylinder, if it is adjusted with two little free play, when the brakes are used, and the fluid gets hot, and expands, the brakes could be dragging jist enough to wear out the pads. This happend on some Guzzi's, and they have basicly the same system.

Barns

12,000 miles and brake pads still have lots left.  This is mainly using the bike on bendy roads, although try and avoid braking usually.

You're not riding with your foot on the pedal are you ?

52blackshadow

I bought my 2002 955i with just over 2,000 miles and the rear pads were almost down to the metal.  I replaced them and checked the front but left them in.  Since then I've added another 10,000 miles and the rear pads are still looking pretty healthy.  My riding is a mixture of Dual carriageways, town riding, country lanes (lots of!) and heavy commuter traffic so the brakes get used quite a lot in town, country lanes and heavy traffic.  Perhaps the original Triumph pads are a bit soft?  or maybe the previous owner dragged the rear a lot?

Ride safe,

Keith.
Ride safe!!!!!

pauljones1227

I took it back to the dealer this morning for new rear pads.

Evidently nothing wrong with the calipers etc, so I will keep an eye on the new ones, hopefully they will last more that 2000 miles cos I'm not prepared to part with over £60 every 3 months....although £32.60 for the orig pads !!!!!! you gotta be kidding!!!!!

I'm off to find my EBC catalogue for the next time..